how to figure out what to do for communication

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 08:19 pm
I'm odd here in that I am old. In the late 1950's, when I was a teen, advice was missing, certainly at our house. I read a lot, but now I am reading questions about does someone like me or what to do if they don't text back for x minutes or hours or days.

I am starting to understand the people who wonder if people don't know how to talk anymore.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,514 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 08:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I remember being very quiet.

I'll recommend talking here or talking on a poetry thread or conversing about how to figure stuff out.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 10:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I see this sounds vaporous so far.
I'm interested in how to argue well, and do so politely. Too late for me, but I'm still interested.

I get it than in at least some good debates, a person could be arguing the opposite side re that person's take.

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 01:40 am
@ossobuco,
I am not so young myself Smile , but I recognize that forum chat can be very different to face to face communication simply as a result of the extended time factors and the absence of paralinguisic gestures. Furthermore, the motives for forum presence can range anywhere from self publicity to boredom, with an actual need to 'debate an answer' being relatively low priority for many. I seem to remember making a remark that a Ph.D. thesis is waiting for anyone wishing to investigate forum communication.
But the 'need to talk' may indeed have been seriously affected by the 'cheapness' of information, and immediate access to sources of contrary opinion. Indeed the status of a single interlocutor in todays extended networks seems to have been devalued In that sense, I think you make a good point.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » how to figure out what to do for communication
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 06:11:20