What does this lyric mean

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 09:00 am
If you have heard the song " to much to ask" By Avril Livigne you hear the lyrics and come across this line :"You can't see the world through a mirror". Now what is she entailing by that statement?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,214 • Replies: 17
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:27 pm
Isolated, it looks like 'you can't see people through how they look' or 'you can't see people if you look for yourself before you look at them.' But, what is the whole song, so that we can get a better idea of the general tone?

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:33 pm
It means she's nineteen and pretentious. I like drom's interperetation as "you can't see people if you look for yourself before you look at them", but in Avril-speak, that probably means "dude, you're so boring and serious. You never wanna party." Sorry, not much of an Avril fan.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:38 pm
(I agree, Cav; I don't like her much either. I doubt that she would have thought that that's what those lines mean, even though she claimed that this CD would be 'deeper.' It would be ironic, too, if Avril were singing about 'the importance of everything apart from myself.'

0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:42 pm
Here's the whole song Drom. I also like your interperetation. Thanks.....and Cav, LOL, you're funny!

"Too Much To Ask"
Its the first time I ever felt this lonely
I wish someone could cure this pain
Its funny when you think its gonna work out
Til you chose weed over me, you're so lame
I thought you were cool until the point
But up until the point you didnt call me
When you said you would
I finally figured out youre all the same
Always coming up with some kind of story

Everytime I try to make you smile
You're always feeling sorry for yourself
Everytime I try to make you laugh
You can't
Youre too tough
You think you're loveless
Is that too much that I'm asking for?

I thought you'd come around when I ignored you
So I thought you'd have the decency to change
But babe, I guess you didn't take that warning
'Cause I'm not about to look at your face again

Can't you see that you lie to yourself
You can't see the world through a mirror
It wont be too late when the smoke clears
'Cause I, I am still here

But everytime I try to make you smile
You'd always grow up feeling sorry for yourself
Everytime I try to make you laugh
You stand like a stone
Alone in your zone
Is it too much that I'm asking for?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:44 pm
And hey, let's not be too hard on Avril, at least she's makin' it, thats more then I can say for myself, and a zillion other musicians out there.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:52 pm
Sorry....soda water is coming out of my nose...the 'deeper' side of Avril. Pass this message on to her: "Girl, you ain't there yet." She dumped a pothead, okay, good on her, but I think she doesn't quite understand the meaning of mirror symbolism in writing. The mirror generally symbolizes a gazing into your own soul, the light and dark sides, in order to achieve important insight. Let's wait and see what happens. I mean, Alanis was a mall-rat pop queen before getting some insight and putting out 'Jagged Little Pill', a fine artistic rebirth. Problem was, the teen girlie generation, who didn't have the life experience yet, locked on to that and put out badly written copycat material. I would put Avril in that category. I'm not even an Alanis fan, but that album did have depth, and she has grown as an artist since then. She's just not my style.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:53 pm
I'll ponder that song for a minute. I think that my interpretation fits in-- just about, not smoothly.

You're right, suf. The thing is, I bet that you could be a more decent musician than Avril. Making it, and popularity, aren't the greatest ways to judge music; or anything. If they were, then Backstreet boys, American Idol and Islamic fundamentalism would be 'good.' I bet that you are a diamond in the rough.

0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:53 pm
"To each their own"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:55 pm
I'm sure of that too, stand up. I'm just vying for the position of resident A2K Zack Warner.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:56 pm
"Each dog licks his own ass."

(whattaya think? could it catch on?)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:58 pm
I liked Alanis, a bit. In that, her music was good enough to be listened to, rather than absorbed, occasionally. Her spawn, though, I found oppresive. The problem is niche marketing; people like a certain image, so that image is promoted, rather than people's true selves. Well, we three will be here for the next years, if hope save us, so we'll see if Avril changes. I have my doubts about any transformation, as people like her the way that she is.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:59 pm
patiodog wrote:
"Each dog licks his own ass."
[.....]
(whattaya think? could it catch on?)

I'm singing it already, much to the distaste of the people near me.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:59 pm
I think that someone else licking a dog's ass would be more 'catching' in the long run.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:01 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
I'll ponder that song for a minute. I think that my interpretation fits in-- just about, not smoothly.

You're right, suf. The thing is, I bet that you could be a more decent musician than Avril. Making it, and popularity, aren't the greatest ways to judge music; or anything. If they were, then Backstreet boys, American Idol and Islamic fundamentalism would be 'good.' I bet that you are a diamond in the rough.

I agree with you on the judging of the music bit. I think it's cool that Avril writes her own songs and are actually getting them heard. I'm not a die hard Avril fan. I like a few songs, mainly because I can identify with the lyrics, and that is the biggest thing I look for in a song/musician.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:01 pm
Do you think that the whole idea of 'I'll put my angst on a music score' is overtaking music?

0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:07 pm
Music is emotion, so yes, I could agree with you. There are a lot of troubled, depressed teens out there, and if taking it out in music form makes a person feel better then go for it, whether it be happy, or sad.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:14 pm
I agree, there is nothing more freeing for a troubled teen than being in a band. Hey, if they make it, even better. Lyrically, I prefer the more symbolic expressions of angst, with all the complexity included. I still marvel at the fact that John Cale's version of this Leonard Cohen tune made the 'Shrek' soundtrack. It was one of those subtle choices that added to the appeal of the movie for adults, IMO.

That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew her
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song