Is it reasonable for me to ask for my money back?

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 08:47 am
My daughter has played for this club softball organization for the past two years. She is hoping to play college ball and this is an important year to be looked at and to choose a college if you want to play competitive ball.

Tryouts for the summer are actually held at the end of the previous summer or maybe very early fall. So pretty much all club softball teams have held their tryouts for the next summer.

She attended her current club softball team's tryouts. After tryouts there was a mandatory meeting for all players that made one of the 2 showcase teams and a U16 team. We attended and was told that final teams were not decided, but these particular girls will be on one of the two gold showcase teams (my daughter being one of them). Gave some stuff on practices, how things were to be run, etc. Then the cost and first payment of $500 was due at a certain date via online process. First practice will most likely be the Sat after Labor Day or later.

We pay our deposit. So the Thursday before Labor Day we get an email saying there was a practice on Monday (Labor Day) where everyone must attend. What the F---. I had already mentioned how we were going away over Labor Day (in conversation about what are you doing over the long weekend, etc) as we have not had a chance to be away as a family together. So we let them know and said we will try out best to be there. Traffic was horrible getting back and we would just arrive home at the time of the practice so we texted and let them know the situation.

Then a few days later we get an email from her last year's coach welcoming them to the team and some instructions - ok this is supposed to be the U16 team and not the showcase team so I reach out and ask if this was sent in error - no it is not, she is doing a lesser showcase team (she didn't say this but the team is called a regional gold rather than an elite gold). So we are now paying for a more expensive team that is not traveling as much - what the heck? Not to mention that 3 other girls that did not start every game like my daughter and who had lower batting averages made the higher level team?

Any way we reached out to another local team - and they wanted to see her even though they already had tryouts. Where it stands now, they want her to play for them, she not only tried out separately, but has attended one of their practices. They want her to attend another - an outdoor one where they can view her abilities better.

We don't know much details now - if she would be on the top team or not (they were very good to the point that they traveled overseas to play) - my husband said the practices and coaches are significantly better than the team/organization she currently is slated to play in so unless something like the team she would be on would not showcase them to colleges, he wants her to play for them. My daughter really liked them as well and really would love to play for this top coach.

Question - am I in a position to ask for our deposit back since we paid under the impression she would be on one of the top two gold teams? The thing is we wouldn't have even looked elsewhere if she was on one of those two teams. But now even if they were to offer her a position on one of those two teams, we would prefer her to play for one of this other organization's top teams.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 814 • Replies: 10
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 08:52 am
@Linkat,
You should ask. If they say no, then it is water under the bridge.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 08:57 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Then a few days later we get an email from her last year's coach welcoming them to the team and some instructions - ok this is supposed to be the U16 team and not the showcase team so I reach out and ask if this was sent in error - no it is not, she is doing a lesser showcase team (she didn't say this but the team is called a regional gold rather than an elite gold). So we are now paying for a more expensive team that is not traveling as much - what the heck?

ask

she's not on the team she applied to be on and that you were told she would be on

ask

leave out anything to do with other players/other teams - just say your daughter is not getting what she was offered and ask for your money
Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 09:00 am
@Linkat,
One other thing, we haven't told them yet. We want to make sure we have something in writing stating a team or potential team(s) she will be on - not going through this again.

And to throw another log on the fire - this woman (that runs the current club organization my daughter is in) HATES this organization. To the point she refuses to have any of their teams play them. Because the top coach is a former coach in her organization. He left (at least according to him) because of things like we are experiencing...she picks girls she likes not because of talent/drive/motivation/attending all practices, but for whatever other reasons only she can possibly know and just changes things around to our whim and fancy.

So of course, we could not mention where my daughter would be going. Figure they will eventually find out - but hopefully after we get our money back.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 09:02 am
@ehBeth,
That is exactly how I plan on wording it - saying that we put the deposit down on the understanding that she would be on either A or B team. And since she is not we decided this would not be in her best interest and since what was originally discussed was changed, we should have our deposit returned.

I would never mention anything about the other girls. My daughter played with them and I do love those other girls they are sweethearts and only wish them the best.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 09:22 pm
You were made a promise that she would be on one of two teams?

If it ain't in writing, then you have lost your $$.
Linkat

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 10:54 am
@PUNKEY,
This was a verbal agreement which are typically legally binding. The thing is being verbal it is he said she said, however, I do have 20 plus witnesses to this agreement. Obviously written is always better as then there is less potential for misunderstanding.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 07:13 am
So the other team confirmed in writing that they want my daughter to play for them.

We wrote the note to her now former team. In it we started with thanking them for the past few years. Then saying after finding out she was no longer going to be on the top 2 teams as organ ally discussed in the parent coach meeting, we were diappointed. Then going on to say how excited she was to be on one of these two teams and how she worked to improve her skills to make the team.

Then stated how we thought this and decided that being on the regional team was not for her and that we are turning down that position. Went on to say that we paid the deposit on the expectation she would be playing on one of these teams as originally stated and that a change was made after the deposit was paid we would hope our deposit would be returned and then added please let us know when we should expect a refund.

We concluded that it was no refer on her coach and that my daughter loved playing for her and also that it wasn't an easy decision to make. And again thanked them for their with my daughter.
Mame

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 03:57 pm
@Linkat,
Very classy, Link, as usual, and good luck, although I expect you'll get your refund since she won't be playing with them. Keep us posted Smile
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 08:11 am
@Mame,
Thanks, although I am not always so classy (I've had my moments).

Wouldn't you know - this woman fell down and broke her hip - she is in the hospital and needs surgery, but is expected to be fine. An email went out to everyone within the organization - also we were told she is reading emails and so forth (basically to let you know to send good wishes) - our timing is excellent, huh?
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 08:13 am
@Linkat,
So because this woman got her I did not follow up until yesterday.

I sent a quick note replying to my previous email - starting out by saying we hope she is feeling better...blah blah. And then went on to say that we understand under the circumstances that this is not a high priority for her, and understand why our refund might have been forgotten and we are just following up. And then asked if there was maybe someone else we could contact if she is unable. And closed with hoping she has a speedy and full recovery soon.

Really tough to ask -- as I know she is in recovering and just getting back on her feet (or hip) -

She was nice and thank us for our thoughts - and said sorry she had forgotten and would let so and so to send us the refund.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is it reasonable for me to ask for my money back?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 10:28:35