Speed-reading revisited still again

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 11:49 am
In the meantime I wonder if anyone else has joined the fray, who might have been involved in speed-reading and the techniques thereof
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 370 • Replies: 10

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 12:33 pm
I recently learned speed-reading, and after the training I read Tolstoy's "War and Peace" in ten minutes. It's about Russia, I think.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 12:42 pm
@dalehileman,
Why would I do that when I savor words and the order they are in, words and the way they sound, words becoming poetry, words and their power?
To me, speed reading is like scything a field of just blooming daffodils.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 01:00 pm
@dalehileman,
I took an organized course in it decades ago in Navy flight training. The techniques included concentration, scanning whole sentences - i.e. reading the sentence, paragraph & page, not the individual words. We used machines that covered the page at a fixed rate to force these actions. Initially thee was a significant loss of retention and comprehension of the material. However, after several days of it both returned and our reading rates were up by at least 50%. A lot of that faded over time, but there was some residual benefit and i can still summon the scanning techniques when necessary.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 03:29 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
It's about Russia, I think
You've absolutely made my entire day

But see, I remembered not to abbr as "Tes." So is "T." okay
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 03:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Why ...when I savor words ... and the way they sound, words becoming poetry....?
When yardwork calls

Quote:
To me....a field of just blooming daffodils
Osso you too have helped make my day
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 03:43 pm
@georgeob1,
Geo thanks so much for your pertienent reply

Quote:
...organized course.... techniques included concentration, scanning whole sentences .... not the individual words
That's a common technique but there are a number of variations and I wonder which ones you found most successful. Some catch one line at a time (depending on dims of para), some in zigzag; some scan for the verb, a few for the noun; and I'm wondering whether anyone has mastered an entire (newspaper column) para at a single glance

Quote:
We used machines..... after several days......rates were up by at least 50%.
That's almost astounding, encouraging anyhow

Quote:
...faded over time, but there was some residual...still summon...when necessary
Thanks Geo again most kindly
dalehileman

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 12:01 pm
@dalehileman,
Oh yes, then there's downward spiral, maybe when we're expert
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 12:02 pm
@georgeob1,
So Geo are there just two of us

Maybe 3 with T
georgeob1

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 01:36 pm
@dalehileman,
Perhaps so. The course I took was a standard part of the classroom training just before we started flying at Pensacola Fla in the 1960s. I still vividly remember the book I read during the exercises. It was "A Crossbowman's Story" based on the the histoty of a small group of Spanish soldiers, from Gonsalves Pizarro's expidition into Eastern Peruand became isolated on the east slopes of the Andes near the headwaters of the Amazon. UNder Orellana's leadership the group made their way down the entire length of the river to the Atlantic, fighting several battles along the way with cultured native peoples later wiped out by epidemic smallpox. They build dsome ships and made their way around to Spanish settlements on Trinidad and what is now Venezuela. I t all happened in 1542 as I recall.

I read a gread deal, but that one has stuck with me far more than most others.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 02:02 pm
@georgeob1,
Thanks Geo for that report

I hardly remember anything I speed-read
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Speed-reading revisited still again
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 03:33:53