Burning my own CDs has lost it's novelty.

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:40 pm
I got a free CD last week when I saw Prince, and as I was listening to it for the tenth or twentieth time, I realized that I never listened to any CD that I have burned myself more than once or twice. Plus, all my self-burned CDs are not labeled very clearly, and they end up sitting in a cluttered pile on top of my speakers, never to be noticed again until I need to clean.

For me, burning my own CDs was a fun little novelty, and I might still steal a song here and there off the internet, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather buy the CDs of the bands I like. It's more convenient to go pick up a CD, and I like the liner notes, the packaging, lyrics, all that crap that comes with it. Plus, there is something about having a real CD collection that is pretty cool. Who wants to have a bunch of generic looking CDs cluttering up your life?

What about you? Are you still burning CDs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,156 • Replies: 14
No top replies

smog

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:44 pm
I've always been a fan of buying my own CDs. Yes, I acquired a lot of mp3s over the years too, but I feel the same way you do: nothing is better than owning the CD. I as well love the liner notes and the organizational capabilities of having a proper case.

Although, the mix CDs that I have made have been a combination of downloaded songs and ripped songs, so I normally enjoy them a lot, and come up with cool titles to place them at certain points in my life, so I know what I want to hear when. Also, my mix CDs normally fit themes or series, so that makes them better for me too, I guess.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:49 pm
I buy, but then again ... I don't have a CD burner.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:38 pm
And that terrible torched plastic smell...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:48 pm
CDs make great downriggers for Spanish Mackerel and small tuna. They glisten in SALT WATER better than any other spoon or shiner made. you got this from me and if you market this I will share in the profits big time.

You can get em free from Quarry and Mining Magazine, just send for demo CDS for all the new Euclids nd Grade-Alls. Course you can get a bout a billion of em for 10 bucks.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 10:48 pm
not really lost it's novelty per say, but i still prefer to buy cd's

i'll burn stuff to take to work with me so the originals stay in good shape
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:25 am
I burn my CDs, mostly, unless they are epics that I just have to have as bona fide CDs. When five CDs cost £65 ($100?,) it's almost a necessity

0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:33 am
I love to buy CDs when possible. I've burned a few as "testers" from friends' CDs and continue to burn compilations but nothing is the same as the original.

KP
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 11:51 am
There are still a few CD players and DVD players around that just wont read a burned CD, totaly annoying. I think many of them are a bit older though, not 100% sure what the new stuff comming out is like.
I tend to agree that owning the album is much better. In fact I just threw out about 15 old poor quality burned CDs with the intention of going to buy the albums to eventually replace them. I'd have saved them had I read this post first ha ha. My dad loves to fish Smile
About the only thing I would really use them for now is saving recordings of my own music. Still have yet to get that set up at home though.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 11:55 am
We have a good DVD player, and pretty much everything I burn is playable even on our older CD players. The irony of the topic for me is that Mrs. cav is going to see Prince soon, and a couple of days ago I asked if she had Musicology. She said no, so today I burned a copy for her, and said, hey, I have a surprise for you, it's Musicology. She said, "I just bought it yesterday." Smile
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 08:47 am
You do know that everyone who goes to see Prince gets a free copy of that CD when they walk in the concert too, don't you?

By the way, I saw Prince last week. Awesome. Mrs. Cav is going to LOVE it.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:43 am
kickycan, I have just got new puter which came with CD rewriter, it never really occurred to me to download music, but one thing that I would be interested in would be putting my fav songs onto one disc.

Would you walk me through it? slowly though I'm a computer nitwit.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:46 am
kickycan wrote:
You do know that everyone who goes to see Prince gets a free copy of that CD when they walk in the concert too, don't you?

By the way, I saw Prince last week. Awesome. Mrs. Cav is going to LOVE it.

That only adds to the irony, kicky. Laughing She is going to love it, I know. She's been a Prince fan for a very long time.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:52 am
My older brother is battling lung cancer and currently in a nursing home in Chicago. He's had such an influence on my musical tastes and when I called him yesterday, he was listening to one of our mutual oldschool favs, Isaac Hayes Movement, which I'd burned and fedexed to him on Thursday.

Technology is fabulous, except for when it ain't.

I heard that Prince was incredible in Chicago this week. I kinda want to see him when he comes thru here but ticket prices these days just leave me numb. I saw his 'Purple Rain' tour back in the 80's. 3rd row center. He was wearing lace pants and a little gold chain around his waist. Holy moly. That'll have to do.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:10 pm
kev wrote:
kickycan, I have just got new puter which came with CD rewriter, it never really occurred to me to download music, but one thing that I would be interested in would be putting my fav songs onto one disc.

Would you walk me through it? slowly though I'm a computer nitwit.

I might be able to help you, but I'm a Mac guy, so if it's a PC, I might not be able to. Smile

You should just start a thread. I guarantee somebody here will be able to help you out.
0 Replies