Yet More Proof That Helicopter Parenting is a FAIL

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 11:46 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
My daughter is reading The Glass Castle - I had read it about a year ago. Now that is free range parenting to the extreme.
I read that too and I am almost positive that I read someplace a quote from the author saying that that this was not free range parenting, this was pure neglect. Free range parents always have the best interest of the child front and center we just think the way to get there is to let the child explore and learn, knowing that they will get dinged up along the way, and we step in if need be. Not caring and not stepping in when needed is not free range, it is neglect. So is not providing food or a way to wash.
Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 01:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yeah that is what I mean by free range parenting to an extreme....not saying free range is not ok - just that the extreme of almost anything is not ok.

The quote you state though does seem vaguely familar so I wouldn't doubt the author did state this.

Obviously these parents were neglectful - but I guess you could call extreme free range parenting neglectful ---
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 01:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
In any event, I think every child should have to read this book --- makes them appreciate their own parents much more.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 01:11 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

In any event, I think every child should have to read this book --- makes them appreciate their own parents much more.

Did not work in my case, the 1/3 of my kids who is currently pissed that she was raised free range loves this book.

I loved it, the brutal honesty of the Author is something that I see way too little of in America today. And the appreciation of education, real education not the indoctrination that takes place in the "education" system. "Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel." is only slightly less fabulous, especially the parts about not being a victim just because "you" are a woman and the descriptions of daily ranch life in the old West.
0 Replies