Deleting Temporary Internet Files?

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:22 am
OK, I think this may be a sophomoric question, but I beg your tolerance.

In Internet Explorer, some people/companies recommend that the Temporary Internet Files be occasionally deleted.

My questions these: 1) If these files are so unimportant that they can simply be deleted by the hundreds by clicking a single button, why are they important enough to save in the first place?

2) When I go to "Tools>Internet Options>Settings...>View Files..." it opens a folder on my hard drive, "C:\Documents and Settings\user1\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files" which contains 37,000 files.

If I right-click on that same folder and select Properties, the Properties window indicates that the folder contains 75,000 files and 34 folders.

2a) Said Properties window indicates Size 994 MB; Size on Disk 1.13 GB; What's the difference between Size, and Size on Disk?

3) How do I know which Temporary Internet Files to delete? Or do I just blindly trust that Microsoft knows what's best (yeah, right)?

Thanks very much for your thorough responses!

General Tsao
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,771 • Replies: 10
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 02:35 pm
Hey there GeneralT. I always delete ALL of the temporary internet files. They are there simply to give you faster access to pages you have already visited. They don't serve any function after the page has been updated. The size indicates the size of the files you have stored in your cache whereas the Size on Disk indicates the total srorage space. You are coming close to filling your cache. Unless people of superior wisdom tell you otherwise, maybe you should delete all the files. I also delete my cookies periodically but that's another story.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 02:51 pm
Re: Deleting Temporary Internet Files?
GeneralTsao wrote:

My questions these: 1) If these files are so unimportant that they can simply be deleted by the hundreds by clicking a single button, why are they important enough to save in the first place?

So you can see them. For example, if you want to play a flash game (just one example) you need to download it.

And it's downloaded to a temporary files folder.

Quote:
2a) Said Properties window indicates Size 994 MB; Size on Disk 1.13 GB; What's the difference between Size, and Size on Disk?

The files require additional information to index them that take up some size, it's an unimportant difference.

Quote:
3) How do I know which Temporary Internet Files to delete? Or do I just blindly trust that Microsoft knows what's best (yeah, right)?

Deleting your entire cache is a standard practice.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 03:01 pm
OK. Thanks very much for the help!

I am anxious about this--especially when Windows says, "blahblah is a Cookie! Are you sure you want to delete a Cookie?"

Should I make sure I do not delete cookies?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 03:24 pm
Up to you, it depends on it you need it or not.

If you delete cookies some of your info may no longer be saved and you may have to log in to sites again.

If that's a problem then don't.

Thing is, you can delete all the files in one fell swoop without deleting the cookies.

Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 03:30 pm
One thing, General. If you don't like them, you can set up to delete them at the end of each session.

I think the tree branches like this: Select "Tools", then "Internet Options", "Advanced". Now, scroll down to the Security section and check the box by "Empty temporary internet files when browser is closed", or something like that.

I got this from Abuzz, and I think the member who posted it was the same MurrayS who gives such great advice on a2k.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 04:07 pm
Ah, so the computer looks at "files" and distinguishes them from "cookies"?

I thought to click delete meant everything would go away.

Thanks again!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 04:15 pm
GeneralTsao wrote:

I thought to click delete meant everything would go away.

The cookies are the next button over.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 06:24 pm
Again, thanks very much! I have taken one small, brave step and deleted the files...nothing bad has happened so far...ROR

General
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:01 pm
Oh wait a minute! Don't do that! Damn! Too late!!!

Juest kidding
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:57 pm
ROROROROR!
0 Replies