Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 12:41 pm
Duke students refuse to read Alison Bechdel’s Fun Home, will probably fail the test.

Should college students be exempt from reading material that offends them?

engineer

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 12:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
How do they know the material offends them if they don't read it? At least Duke is private. Two SC universities got their funding cut after assigning the same book.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 01:12 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
How do they know the material offends them if they don't read it?

#shrugs Don't ask me.

It's a graphic memoir. One can only assume they perused it before they raised a ruckus. Then again, it's a famous book that's the foundation to the big Tony Award winning musical of this year.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 01:20 pm
The book is a graphic novel (a "comic book") which addresses themes of sexual orientation, gender roles, suicide, emotional abuse, dysfunctional family life, and the role of literature in understanding oneself and one's family.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3b/Fun-home-barrette.jpg/220px-Fun-home-barrette.jpg

Fun Home was a finalist for the 2006 National Book Critics Circle Award, in the memoir/autobiography category. In 2007, Fun Home won the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Comic Book, the Stonewall Book Award for non-fiction, the Publishing Triangle-Judy Grahn Nonfiction Award, and the Lambda Literary Award in the "Lesbian Memoir and Biography" category. Fun Home was nominated for the 2007 Eisner Awards in two categories, Best Reality-Based Work and Best Graphic Album, and Bechdel was nominated as Best Writer/Artist. Fun Home won the Eisner for Best Reality-Based Work. In 2008, Entertainment Weekly placed Fun Home at #68 in its list of "New Classics" (defined as "the 100 best books from 1983 to 2008"). The Guardian included Fun Home in its series "1000 novels everyone must read", noting its "beautifully rendered" details.

It sounds to me like the students are a bunch of spoiled little bigoted brats.

By the way, what is a "barrette"?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 01:30 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Barrettes are plastic or metal thingies that girls or gals or well anybody with really long hair I suppose use to keep their long hair in place.
http://i62.tinypic.com/awsv36.jpg
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 01:37 pm
Oh. What we call a 'hair slide'. What do you suppose she did with it? (This book sounds like good fun, with some lively discussions possible!)
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 01:43 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
I can't exactly remember what happened but it was something along the lines where she lost it roughhouse playing with some male friends.

And yes. The book is quite fun and touching as well. Might get you a little teary eyed.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 03:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
Engineer's reply was perfect.

What a f*cked up culture we have when being offended trumps everything else.

College students who refuse to read this book should be expelled.

You go to college (or at least you should) to learn and you can't learn if you don't consider all possibilities. If one or more of those possibilities "offend" you? Tough ****, get over it. Make a cogent argument why it is wrong thinking and don't curl into a fetal ball yelling "Make it stop!"

This **** marks the end of Western Civilization.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Assigned reading or asinine reading?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/14/2024 at 04:18:37