What are some books that I can start reading?

jespah

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 07:33 am
@tsarstepan,
Oh, I love Flowers for Algernon!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 07:52 am
@pennie ,
pennie - we've a long time thread on a2k about what books we are reading and what we think about them. You might want to check it out. It's a long thread and what people are reading varies. It's a thread I treasure.

http://able2know.org/topic/1042-1

It is now 366 pages long. There is a lot there that interests me, and of course some that doesn't very much. Join in, if you feel like it, by posting on whatever the current last page is.

Me - I am reading some book almost every day, usually sitting on a chair or reading in bed. Reading in bed is why I tend to like paperback books. The days I'm not reading a book at some point, I'm reading the New Yorker magazine almost cover to cover. That magazine takes me more than one day each week to read through.

On the contributors to that thread, a2k people are from different places in the world, so you'll probably find an interesting cross section of comments.
pennie

Mon 7 Sep, 2015 10:44 pm
@saab,
Thank you so much for replying, saab. I apologize for the late response.

I find the book "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" to be very interesting. I checked it out on Amazon and it allowed viewers to "look inside" the book. Thanks so much! It will be next on my list of books to read.

Thank you also for taking the time out to recommend some other books as well. Appreciate it a ton!
0 Replies

pennie

Mon 7 Sep, 2015 10:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thank you so much for your opinion on the book "Flowers for Algernon". Yes, it's a fairly short book. I appreciate your comment. It's interesting to see what other people are reading and what they're into.
0 Replies

pennie

Mon 7 Sep, 2015 10:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks so much for suggesting the thread. I did check it out and it seems it's been going for ages lol. It's great! It's always interesting to see what people are interested in and what they're reading. I'll definitely keep up with it. Thanks again!
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Mon 7 Sep, 2015 11:24 pm
In your position, I would recommend starting with a book that is VERY engrossing, or you might lose interest and abandon it before it gets good. Many books that are "good literature" are hard to get into, and might even require a second reading before you really appreciate them. I'd recommend starting with Tolkein's "The Hobbit," even if you aren't thrilled with the idea of stories about dragons and furry creatures. For most readers it is so engrossing that you'll want to carry it with you anywhere you go, and sneak in a few pages during lunch, when you go to the bathroom, etc. Slaughterhouse Five is also very engrossing, but a bit darker at times.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:56 am
http://viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Screen-Shot-2014-10-11-at-10.59.40.png
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:49 am
@pennie ,
Hi Pennie,
It depends on your interest what kind of books you like to read so try to read some books which you like too.
0 Replies

ifeeleducation

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 01:43 am
@pennie ,
If you want to read books, go for solo book like suspense stories, myths and imagination , this stuff will proved you grate pleasure of reading
roger

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 02:12 am
@ifeeleducation,
Grate suggestion!
0 Replies

Laverna

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 10:03 am
@pennie ,
I would recommend you "Gone with the Wind" - a novel written by Margaret Mitchell, I could not stop read it! And I think you will start just when you will find smth your, I mean something so special and close to you, so tou will feel the characters, the spirit, when it will be not a book, but alive story
0 Replies

spikepipsqueak

Fri 2 Oct, 2015 06:55 am
@pennie ,
pennie wrote:

This is sort of off but I'm wondering if any of you have read "Flowers for Algernon"...? I'm just wondering because I saw it as a suggestion on Amazon. Is it a good book to read, too?

Also, do you guys still read books often? If so, when do you find the time to read? Before bed or at a cafe? What types of books do you like? Mystery? Classics? Sorry I'm just so curious after having read all the responses.

I second the suggestion of Anne of Green Gables if you are just coming to reading for pleasure. It is a charming story and an ongoing series if you find you enjoy it.

Also, Georgette Heyer writes a lovely light historical romance. (Dozens of them, in fact.)

These suggestions may not be any use, according to your taste, but these are some of the authors who have inspired me, with whom I have spent some wonderful evenings.

Orson Scott Card. Science fiction with human insight.
Thackeray. Particularly Vanity Fair. (though it's really long)
Mira Jacob The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is well worth a read.
0 Replies