Tilapia fish & mosquito control.

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 04:38 am
Which species & which type (juvenile or adult) of Tilapia fish is used for mosquito control? Are they effective as mosquito fish( Gambusia affinis)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,013 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 12:48 pm
@Navneet Desai,
A very quick google comes up with two specifically mentioned species: Oreochromis nilaticus and tilapia mossembica. How effective they are in the role I cannot tell.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 02:18 pm
@Navneet Desai,
I've only used gambusa, which are in my memory quite small. Los Angeles County used to give then out for free, back then, anyway. I used to design small ponds in concrete "pots" with pumps and small fountain fixtures (some of the pots fancy and fairly large), and had one myself, and I used the gambusa myself and mentioned them to clients. We designed much larger inground ponds, but that's another bag of beans.

I haven't read up on all that since, but can imagine if one has a larger pond, larger fish could be useful. Do they use young tilapia for it? I'd guess a juvenile tilapia is still larger than gambusa, but don't know that.

I have a photo somewhere of a heron, if I remember, a great blue, landing on my 'pond'.. but the fish had places to hide in with the water hyacinths. Plus, the heron saw me and backed off.
0 Replies