Why most of the nurses are bitchy?

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:03 am
Im an undergrat recently having clinical placement in surgical ward of one of the reputed hospital, why nurses are so bitchy, no matter how much u try to do best, they will make faces and push u down, they want u to do everything, if u make any sort of mistskes then u are done. I was weirdly pulled down by senior RN's because of tiny mistake. Im done with this profession so far, is it like this everywhere? Sorry for weird english, not my language.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,121 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:04 am
Maybe it's your attitude? Just saying.

Olivier5

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 03:01 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
I don't know where that poster is writing from but can confirm that, in NYC a least, medical assistants deserve their own special place in hell.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 04:43 am
@Imbishnu123,
Would assume because nurses do 98% of the work, but doctors get 100% of the credit. Had a kidney stone years ago and visited an urgent care center late at night. Saw an actual doctor for maybe 90 seconds, rest of the visit was nurses. Nurses did the saline IV, did all the paperwork, diagnostics and tests. Doc came in to sign the actual Rx but not much else.

In a work enviroment where the ones who do all the work get just a fraction of the pay, I'd be cranky too.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 08:14 am
@Imbishnu123,
My brother is a nurse - it is a tough job. Look at it from their prespective. They are very busy, they literally have a person's life in their hands as in if they make a little mistake it can be life threatening....think you just read the medication instructions wrong and give a little more than perscribed and many other things.

They probably do not have a choice on training/working with you - but they still need to do their full time job while ensuring perfect care with no mistakes - and most likely they are already overworked so then they throw you onto it and they need to train you on top of their already overburdened and stressful job.

No it is not your fault, but really if you make a little mistake - it could cost them their job, and maybe someone's life.

If you tough it out though - it can be rewarding. It isn't an easy job, but my brother has been at it for 20+ years. One thing when you are ready - it is best to work in a high quality hospital.

He worked as a traveling nurse and one time at a lower quality hospital...he called a doctor during the doctor's off hours because the medical instructions were not clear and he of course had the patience best interest in mind and wanted to verify. The doctor yelled at him for disturbing him in off hours. So you can see why nurses can act that way.
0 Replies

Tetty

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 09:20 am
In any job training, you're going to make mistakes. Mistakes need to be corrected and you will have to hear the criticism if your mistake to learn why it was a mistake and how to avoid it in the future. This is especially necessary in an occupation like nursing where people's lives are on the line.
Most people do not enjoy confrontations but trainers HAVE TO confront trainees. If, when they do, the trainee just comes off like the trainer is just being "bitchy", it makes the trainer feel like they are wasting their time. A nurse is already burdened with much responsibility. Training you is another burden on their time. They are there to help you know what you're supposed to do and you sound like you're inappreciative of their knowledge and efforts and only seek to discredit their help by viewing them as just mean. It implies you do not see how important it is to be a nurse because you don't value what they are trying to teach you when they point out your mistakes. I'd want you off my list of responsibilities too if this is the attitude you're displaying. I'd feel you were a danger to my patients and ill suited for the job of being a nurse.
Why do you want to be a nurse if you don't care to learn?
0 Replies