READ IT? OR SAW THE MOVIE AND SAID YOU DID?

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 10:36 pm
Well, the film had many elements of Lord of the Flies correct. I can see getting away with it in this case.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 03:52 pm
Like a previous poster, I decided to read "Nicholas Nickleby" before seeing the film. By the time I'd waded though 800+ pages (which I mostly enjoyed), I was in no mood to watch the abbreviated version on screen, though I'd seen many good reviews. I felt a little funny about the whole thing, but there it is...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 04:01 pm
Much as I like Dickens, that particular novel does not really grab me.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:19 pm
Hi Edgar: The Grapes of Wraths is probably the only Steinbeck novel I haven't read. I was so impressed by the movie, I never bothered to read the book. Now, you've piqued my interest. I just might add it to my must-read list of novels.
I read Steinbeck's East of Eden before seeing the movie, and if I hadn't been advised ahead of time that the movie covered only a small segment of the book, I would have been very disappointed. I can imagine what a delightful surprise it must be for the person who reads that book after they've seen the movie.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:25 pm
Grapes of Wrath has much more than the excellent film. Alternating chapters give an overview of the situation, totally not in the film. Plus, the film ends at least a chapter or so ahead of the book. The true ending is very moving.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:55 pm
Thanks, Edgar. I've just added the Grapes of Wrath to my reading list. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:21 pm
Carey McWilliams Island on the Land is a good non fiction book to read in accompaniment to Steinbeck, it is nonglorifying about California history. It might still be in print. Written decades ago now.

I loved - at the time - East of Eden, the book, never saw the movie. Read Grapes and saw the movie, preferred the book. I almost always do, but not quite always.

A few years back I had a glass of wine at a visit with friends to a couple who live, or lived, in one of the places Steinbeck lived; can't remember, it was either in Monterey or Pacific Grove, which are close to each other.

It brought it all a little closer, though no doubt the place is different now than in Steinbeck's time.

The movie I preferred to the book was Cutter and Bone, later retitled Cutter's Way (or vice versa). I think almost nobody saw it, but I loved it viscerally. It was about some skulduggery in Santa Barbara, and starred John Heard, Jeff Bridges and Lisa Eichhorn. It had a haunting score that involved Brian Eno and the glass harmonica; I don't remember that the score was intrusive...I react strongly to intrusive, have been known to walk out on intrusive sound or scores. Great scene with a horse. In my opinion.
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:38 pm
Okay, so you've all sold me on The Grapes of Wrath both on screen and in print. I started reading it years ago but didn't get far before I moved on to something else. I'm not sure why I stopped reading it. Perhaps I was just Steinbecked out at the time. I'd just finished two other Steinbeck novels back to back.

I can hand you all a great argument for seeing the movie AND reading the book: Cannery Row. Both were very good, but the film was so loosely based on the book they almost seemed unrelated.
0 Replies