Are religious beliefs a mental disorder?

George

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 12:54 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
HesDeltanCaptain wrote:
Believe everyone who asserts a belief in beings absent any empirical evidence
may be mentally ill. As indications go, it'd be a big one.
This from a man pathologically obsessed with masturbation.
Get a grip on yourself.
Oops. Sorry.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 02:05 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
HesDeltanCaptain wrote:

Beliefs are taught and learned so not a default anything.

They are also consequences of commonly shared experiences.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 03:18 am
Religious "beliefs" are just blind guesses about REALITY...disguised by people who want others to think they are something else.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 11:49 am
@George,
[quote="George]. . . a man pathologically obsessed with masturbation. . . [/quote]Is there a Latin word for this? Libertine does not seem specific enough. Debauchee lacks intuitive nuance. Is there a Latin derivation for manhandler (or, similar)? Your erudite input would be appreciated.
We could make history. Perhaps recognition in DSM.
0 Replies

Johnjohnjohn

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 10:07 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
No most of them are just satanic lies

They are part of the plan to turn humanity away from The Father.

Dont be decieved.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 10:37 pm
England sent its religious nuts to America and its criminals to Australia. Australia got the better deal.
neologist

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 12:43 am
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:
England sent its religious nuts to America and its criminals to Australia. Australia got the better deal.

Laughing
Yeah, but you also got cane toads and those cute little bunnies and . . . .

Is there any reptile or amphibian in Australia, that is not poisonous? or that won't rip your arms off?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 05:06 pm
Think this guy's not suffering a mental disorder?
https://www.atheistalliance.org/regional-reports/north-america/1150-ny-bishop-rape-shames-abuse-victims-boys-are-culpable-for-their-actions-at-7-years-old.html
Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2015 02:08 am
@Wilso,
Actually, England used to send their convicts to North America--the famous Confederate general Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson was descended from two convicts who met in England, were transported to Maryland, and married upon getting their tickets of leave.

The penal colonies were set up in Australia because after the American revolution was successfully concluded, the convicts could no longer be sent there. The revolution concluded in 1783, and the First Fleet sailed for Australia in 1787.
0 Replies

think rethink

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 10:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
they are both (in my primitive view) an emotional disorder.

it's a product of the emotional impression (possibly influenced by continuous excessive struggle), that our data shapes reality as much as reality shapes our data.

coin flipside disorder ?

the fact, that survival forces us to know everything, also generates tremendous pressure, "to come up" with a stance, in the most critical issue ever.

in their rush to conclude, they will fail to notice the contents in their baggage, and will label emotionally fueled theory as concrete evidence.

that pressure, will disable many, to recognize , their homework is not complete.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 12:05 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
You are really generalizing when you say that religions are a mental disorder. Religion is a basic imperative of human consciousness, complementary to rational thought. As science is to rational thought art is to religion.

It all has to do with the "mystery". Science begins with the mystery and is totally objective: religion ends with the mystery and is totally subjective. Science is corrupted when it becomes subjective in that the scientist forms a hypothesis and then tests it--in effect to try to prove it wrong, not to try to prove it right, which would be subjective.

Religion becomes corrupted when it insists on creating an objective reality and a supernatural, which it then passes on through indoctrination.
Basically, religion deals with the individual's relationship with the universe, the transcendence of time, the resolution of opposites, and the dissolution of ego. This is religion and is completely outside the realm of rational thought. That is the purpose of the Zen koan: to break through the illusion of time, the apparent dualism of opposites, and ego formation, and then to accept all of these as the nature of consciousness.
0 Replies

think rethink

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 09:51 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
probably not a mental disorder,
for mental stuff to "mean" anything, they need emotional flavor.

if we wouldn't feel pain or joy.
we would loose all sense of direction and frame.
no point succeeding over failing, if they do not differ in any way.

if religion is taking you to a better place,
never mind the emotional flood disabling your logic.

(still it does not justify marketing religion to others whom you cannot guaranty similar success due to how greatly we differ from one another, especially children who are effectively defenseless).

your logic should only be a servant to what suits you best, long term.

it shouldn't sabotage your better option, for the sake of its own efficiency.

when religion leads you in the dumps, it's an "emotional" disorder more often than the other way around.

it not only drowns your logic, but usually dresses up as logic and represents itself as such, as well.

0 Replies

Nova Flare Q

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 07:33 am
Here are the facts:

Meditating on the inner-workings of the universe and having logical theories about what God actually is (The Bible says "Dynamic Energy" or ever-changing energy. In the Bible, when Jehovah was speaking to Moses, he said this in regards the meaning of his name: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” (Exodus 3:14) Which complies with Quantum Physics and String Theory on energy.) This is in compatibility with critical thinking, and so is not a mental disorder.

Meditating on the inner-workings of the universe and having logical theories on why God probably doesn't exist and why that theory is in compatibility with academic studies in regard to cellular development is not a mental disorder.

Religion or lack thereof is not a disorder. It isn't as black-and-white as that. Rather, it is the reasoning behind why people believe what they believe that matters. Depending on their reasons and research studies on the matter, one can gauge how biased they are in regard to what they believe due to how many holes are found within the logic of what they believe.

Let's break down the word 'disorder':

1. dis (indicates that the coming word is actually an antonym)
2. order (on it's own, it would mean a row of sticks neatly put side-by-side, but by putting the antonym indicator DIS before it, it gives the image of the sticks, rather than being neatly side-by-side, instead strewn about everywhere in DIS-array.)

Here is the noun and verb for disorder:

Noun: DISORDER: a state of confusion.
"the world 's currency markets were in disorder"

Verb: DISORDER: disrupt the systematic functioning or neat arrangement of.
"she went to comb her disordered hair" disrupt the normal functioning of.
"a patient who is mentally disordered"

Any line of reasoning that fits mostly the verb qualifies as a "disorder". We can see that it should not be limited to religion and/or lack thereof, but that it should be applied to everything. If our thoughts are sound, have a good foundation, and are orderly in logic, then it is not a disorder. For example, my belief that there are different layers of energy compared to this physical layer and that the Universe itself is God due to the meaning of his name doesn't exactly make my eyes bloodshot, nor make my mouth froth, or give me the desire to stab someone and eat their beating heart whilst making a hat out of tin-foil.
0 Replies

Nova Flare Q

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 07:54 am
@Wilso,
The new Pope hears voices in his head 24/7 and he talks to them all the time, and says he has a direct link to God (cough)demons(cough)

I'd say he was mentally ill. I'd also say he's dabbling in certain things that he shouldn't, such as the Occult. The Catholic Church's members have a long, long history of dabbling in... Those things. Besides, the Pope has a rather extensive and secretive library.

Whilst I think Religion itself is not a mental disorder, using it as an excuse certainly is. In fact, I think anyone with a faith that has hidden roots in Ancient Babylonian fertility gods should step back to examine their beliefs, less they be reprimanded as having a mental disorder.

Have a look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
neologist

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 06:31 pm
@Nova Flare Q,
The problem with exposing confirmation bias is our reluctance to face it in ourselves.
I believe what I want to believe. . . I know I'm on the right track . . .
Waitaminnit!
Have I just ignored that train bearing down on me?

We all need to ask that question no matter how uncomfortable it makes us feel.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2015 07:21 pm
This week my daughter (8) asked me about the significance of Christmas. I set out to give a rather basic clinical description of some religions, without trying to pass judgement. When she realised that some people believe in what she understands to be an omnipotent creator, her reaction was "that's crazy".

No question she's mine:)
martinies

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 10:13 pm
@Wilso,
The omnipotent creator can be seen as the relativity in the illusion event. The you is permanent so physics is illusion to the yous permaments.You is part of relativity as consciousness the unmoving thing in the changing illusion. The indistinguishable nothing is you. Your actions in the illusion will be judged by nothing as nothing will be the judge of you.
0 Replies

donna downing

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 12:09 am
Well anyone is entitled to their own opinion even Sigmund Freud and other famous genius. There is no scientific basis that God exist but science cannot prove things that belief can. It's a slippery slope and is actually non arguable in my opinion.

If to believe is a mental disorder then everyone is mentally disabled. Even atheist for they still believe in something which is the non-existent of God, that's their religion. So everyone is mental. That make sense I think. Anyway, I said it before and I'll say it again. Believe what you want everybody has that right but please respect the belief of others as well.
FBM

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 12:58 am
@donna downing,
donna downing wrote:

Well anyone is entitled to their own opinion even Sigmund Freud and other famous genius. There is no scientific basis that God exist but science cannot prove things that belief can.

What can belief prove that science can't? Just curious.

Quote:
It's a slippery slope and is actually non arguable in my opinion.

a) I'm not following the reference to the slippery slope fallacy. http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/slippery-slope.html

b) Well, it's currently being argued, so there's that.

Quote:
If to believe is a mental disorder then everyone is mentally disabled. Even atheist for they still believe in something which is the non-existent of God, that's their religion.

a) Not all atheists or agnostics believe in the non-existence of gods. Even if they did, it wouldn't rise to the level of a religion. Belief =/= religion.

Quote:
So everyone is mental. That make sense I think. Anyway, I said it before and I'll say it again. Believe what you want everybody has that right

This part we agree on.

Quote:
but please respect the belief of others as well.

I can't quite go there. I can respect the person, so long as the person is behaving respectably, but beliefs themselves don't deserve respect. Shall we all respect the beliefs of the Nazi party, of NAMBLA, Aum Shinrikyo, ISIS, etc? Benign beliefs don't bother me. It's when people start proselytizing and/or pushing their beliefs on others that I no longer feel compelled to restrain myself from criticizing them.

0 Replies

StephenStevens

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2016 05:06 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
How can you even say something like that? Religions were invented during the time when science was on a very low level. They were used as an explanation of things surrounding us. Of course, they managed to persist for a long time due to pressure exerted by the church. Nevertheless, you cannot call them a mental disorder because they became part of our culture. It is like calling work of art "embodiment of a mental picture".
0 Replies