What do you call someone that likes retro stuff...?

iGeo

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 01:22 am
What do you call someone who is really attached to retro stuff? However, not just retro stuff as-is; but rather, modified or made a little bit more modern. It would sort of be like being into shaving with a straight razor as our forefathers have for decades, but owning a modern-retro version (timeless traditional look, but using modern materials, tech, and some modern features). On one extreme I see those who like things as-is, and on the other extreme, I see those who make a completely modern version of something from the past (such as a carbon fiber version that looks ultra-modern). What I'm trying to get at is somewhere in between those two extremes, where custom items will probably come into play. I hope I'm making sense here...

It's not an "eclectic" since that would be a juxtaposition of modern and retro items, as opposed to someone who has an attachment to the integration of design within an item. It's not being a "traditionalist", as that pertains mostly to humans. Is it a retrophiliac? Nostalgist? It has a lot to do with design, so maybe there's a term that already exists within the field of design.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 5,380 • Replies: 13
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 05:47 am
@iGeo,
I was thinking nostalgia but yeah, it's not exactly the same. It's like someone who prefers Camden Yards, a ballpark made to look old, to Fenway Park, which really is old (team loyalties and geographic considerations aside).
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 09:20 am
@iGeo,
Old? Smile
0 Replies

iGeo

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 10:28 am
Yeah, it's hard to come up with a term for it since one would also have to factor in the modern aspect of the design. Though, perhaps something like "nostalgist" would already take into account a modern twist to the design since nostalgia is about reflecting on the past while in the present (?). Then again, that would still be referencing only the past... not sure.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 10:34 am
@iGeo,
You're looking for a word for someone who likes reproductions?

It's hard to think of a flattering one.

As a group, I think of steampunk covering this territory.
iGeo

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 10:55 am
@ehBeth,
Yes, good one, I was thinking steampunk, too! Smile That would be one example of modern-retro in an alternate future. If it were in the present time, though, it's a bit too eccentric, but it's a good example.

Another one on the opposite end would be, say, the White House which has all of the modern amenities but it completely looks timeless in design with its Neo-Classical Greco style (Art "Greco"?)?

But, yeah, as you point out, it's hard to figure out a term. Maybe we make one up like "retronaut" (= pioneering or re-imagining the past designs with a modern twist / materials while staying true to the past nature of the design so as to maintain its nostalgic appeal - which is why one would be pioneering like an astronaut instead of simply reflecting on the past.
0 Replies

iGeo

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 11:48 am
This Stars Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) trailer makes a good way of putting it, at least with respect to movie production and maintaining the allure of the classic Star Wars movies: "To see the way that technology has evolved, and yet keeping one foot in the pre-digital world.” (quote starts at 0:56, but there's relevant dialogue beforehand and the trailer is a neat behind the scenes look at the next Star Wars movie so you may want to watch it anyway Smile).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=&v=7vnij_-0lHc
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 12:05 pm
faux retrograde
retro-activist
retryer
retrofitter
retroplayer
retroreferentialist
retreditive
retrovisionary

I'll stop myself now...
Ionus

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 09:41 pm
Quote:
What do you call someone that likes retro stuff...?
They would be "a retro stuff liker".
0 Replies

iGeo

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 04:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I like "retrofit" Smile

That word seems to suggest fitting new tech into a retro-product base, making it self-evident that it's essentially a retro product. So, you can't really go overboard with the retrofitted design - otherwise, it becomes something modern, like using modern designs while outfitting it with recycled / metal materials from older parts.
roger

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 05:19 pm
@iGeo,
Not bad. I was going to say retro buff, but that doesn't include the element of modernization.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 11:56 am
@iGeo,
Retrologist
http://rolandopujol.tumblr.com/
roger

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:01 pm
@neologist,
I knew we could count on someone with a name like neologist.
neologist

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:53 pm
@roger,
Yeah. But I wasn't first.
Whoever it is has a most interesting blog.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What do you call someone that likes retro stuff...?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:09:45