Need to find decent place to open second e-mail account

merstar

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:53 am
Hi all,
I'm looking to extricate myself from Hotmail - it really sucks. Every time I turn around, they take away another feature. First they took away all font style choices, and now, after their so-called new added features, I can no longer adjust the size of the font, and I'm stuck with their lousy miniscule font. Can you recommend a good source for a second e-mail account? (I have Outlook Express, but need another account somewhere - unfortunately I cannot use Yahoo due to some kind of technical screwup that will never be fixed). Anyway, I've tried one or two others, including Excite, but they let in lots and lots of spam. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,413 • Replies: 10
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 10:48 am
I don't understand why you can use Yahoo. They offer 100MB of storage and all the goodies. In any case, I have Juno as my email server. It's free and comes with its own software and works really well.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 01:09 pm
You can't use Yahoo with Outlook Express because they do not support pop access, they want you to visit their site and see the ads that will pay for the service.

Hotmail, however, allows access by Outlook Express and you can use any font and such that you want that way as you will not be limited by hotmails web editor's features.

If you want alternatives the next biggie is MyWay, they are getting big very fast.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 01:46 pm
agreeing w/ CDK - I use hotmail via my outlook express (which I have configured for all my 'regular' email also). You can have it set for HTML and do whatever you want with your emails.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 01:51 pm
MyWay offers a very nice, extremely customizeable browser homepage setup too, which includes a "New Mail Alert" feature. Its been my default homepage for years as it is ad-free and allows me to configure an enormous number of news, editorial, technical/scientific, financial, and weather information sources into one instantly accessible, easy-to-reference location. It looks best with IE, but is very acceptable with Firefox, NeoPlanet, Netscape, and Opera. MyWay mail also can be configured to poll other PoP3 accounts, providing a convenient "one-stop" email function -though it does not handle IMAP accounts, such as HotMail. My own MyWay email addy is several years old, has never been used for any signups nor has it appeared in any web posting. It receives absolutely no spam. A quick check just now shows over 500 new messages in my HotMail account, over 400 of which are in the "Junk Mail" folder Rolling Eyes . I clean it out a couple times a day. Though currently only 6MB free storage is provided with MyWay mail, a scheduled free upgrade due in September will include 125MB storage, plus the capability of handling emails up to 10 MB ea.
0 Replies

merstar

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 02:55 pm
Thanks, everyone for the e-mail resources. I'm going to check out myway.com first.
*timberlandko, can you adjust the font size with your myway.com account?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 03:20 pm
As far as I know, you can set only themes and colors but you can't customize font/textsize in MyWay mail, though you can customize all of it on the MyWay homepage. Nonetheless, I find the Myway mail display quite legible at its default, or "Classic", setting. I'll note I do usually use a big, very high resolution, calibrated CRT monitor driven by a highend video card most of the time, but it shows up just fine to me on machines with lesser monitor/video card combos and a couple smaller, lower resolution laptop displays, too. I like it.
0 Replies

merstar

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 04:44 pm
Thanks timberlandko. I just opened an account at myway.com and you can indeed change the font size on the outgoing messages. It's great - easy to work with and no spam. Thanks again!!!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:28 am
I have been using Yahoo for ages. Its good points are:

1. It hasn't closed down (I went thru about 4 accounts when the Net bubble burst
2. I NEVER get spam!

Any news on the Google email venture?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:03 pm
merstar - are you at Taunton as well?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 06:16 pm
Spymac.

http://www.spymac.com/index.php
0 Replies