Les Miserables

Eric

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 04:35 pm
It's my favorite book and I'm reading it for the fifth time as of now. What do you all think of this this wonderful book? If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it to you. Also I was wondering for those of you who have read it, which parts of the book do you think best represent the themes of self sacrifice and love can make a difference and redemption through suffering.

Cheers,

Eric
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,204 • Replies: 10
No top replies

disenter512

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 06:53 pm
ok five times wow

you heavy on the books good for you

try reading something more humorous like the hitchhickers guide to the galixy or maybe Michael Waumba's Golden Orange

but the book

I liked the part where John never gives up on his escape. and finally it pays off . if he would have just sat in his cell and rotted away there would have been no book.

peace
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 07:06 pm
Too many great parts to pick only a few ...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:12 am
I read the book a few summers ago and enjoyed it enormously. It was pretty obvious that Hugo really liked the saintly priest from whom Jean Valjean stole the silver. I thought the book was a magnificent character study and that the musical was more faithful to it then the lame film starring Irish actor ------------- (drat! every time I try to list a name, it goes out of my head) and the Australian who played in the movie about the pianist.

I have not seen the version with John Malkovich and Gerard Depardieu.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:15 am
pom, just helping out here - Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush are the actors you're thinking of...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:36 am
Thanks, mac! I hate my womanofacertainage memory. Grrrrr.

I have a terrible time remembering Liam Neeson's name.
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 06:30 am
Les Miserables is my absolute favourite too. I read it when i was like 11 and i cried so much at the end.
0 Replies

disenter512

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:57 pm
Ok so what about new books do you people have any suggestions??//
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:48 am
Scaramouche by Raffael Sabatini ( i'm wondering if this is the correct spelling)
0 Replies

DreamInTheNight

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 10:35 am
It is the correct spelling, but Rafael has only one f I believe. Cool
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:33 pm
I read mostly non-fiction, so my recommendations would not be that interesting.

BTW, just saw the American Repertory Theatre production of Moliere's The Miser. Excellent! Amazing how a person thinks he can control his adult children, which is one of hte themes of the play.
0 Replies