Patio Fence Problem

jbc6

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 03:01 pm
My neighbor and I each live in a townhouse with a shared wall. In the back there is a large wood deck that can be accessed by our back doors. There was zero privacy as the deck was wide open, so I put up a 6-foot fence on my side of the deck. My neighbor hates it, and wants me to take it down. That's not an option.
I should also mention that the wood on her side of the fence has paint marks on it and looks terrible. She wants to paint it, but I don't want her to. I wish she would put up her phone fence. If she did, it would look the way she wants it to, and would eliminate some of the gaps that are there now.

She thinks that most decks like this are open and have no privacy. I think she's wrong about that. Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,012 • Replies: 3
No top replies

thack45

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 03:17 pm
I can't imagine any scenario where I would willfully move in to a place with a shared outdoor space. The big questions are, is there anyone who can order you to take it down (landlord, neighborhood association), and do you want to respect the fact that the shared deck is just as much your neighbor's as it is yours?

Assuming the answers are no and yes, respectively, you would do whatever you could in order to have your privacy while accommodating your neighbor. Perhaps that could be making sure that both sides of the partition are finished, and of good quality. Why would you not want her to paint?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 03:31 pm
@jbc6,
Shared anything is always a road to a gunfight in this USA.
You should have sat on down with her and have had two or three options other than a ratty fence. Did you really want to piss her off?
Is it too late or have you two destroyed all communications by both acting a little childish.
Why would you fence off her property with crappy woad showing on her living side?
I would have considered a bigass planter with climbing things like Manevilia or red flags to attract hummingbirds. Or several potted cedar trees in a line.(They grow your and her privacy with some nic plants.

Surprised you didnt consider a porch garden to share some veggie growing .
Why cant she paint it without your permission?? I dont unerstand your sene of entitlement. You put the thing up without even talking to her. I assume its on her line so I hope she says"why do you have the right to deny me my right to paint it?".
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 04:00 pm
@jbc6,
Have you read your CC&R’s? Your homeowners association can force you to take the fence down if it wasn't approved first.
0 Replies