Why are people so weird about gifts?

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 10:53 am
People seem to have so much emotion, time and effort tied up in gifts. Wedding gifts, birthday gifts, Christmas gifts... Is this some kind of disease? Can we ever evolve into a post-gift culture? Personally I think it's crazy. Have a good story about gift-giving insanity you've experienced? Share it!

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 11:40 am
@Banana Breath,
Not always true -- some people give little thought and emotion over gift giving - some give because it is expected or they feel the need to give.

I personally try to give something thoughtful (if I can come up with something creative) - to me it shows you care and are thinking of the person rather than giving because of some odd you are supposed to.

My insanity gift giving stories:
Two wedding ones - these seems to bring the worst outta people....I open a wedding gift with a card that says - from Fred and Joan (made up to save the embarassed couple). I notice that the box seems torn a bit almost as if it were wrapped previously. Inside I spy a nice pretty glass vase. Not an odd gift by any means - just odd as unless you know the person's style odd to give. Then there is another card inside - which says - congrats Fred and Joan - you see Fred and Joan had just gotten married a few months previous to our own.

Then as per common I have several nice checks to deposit as wedding gifts. The nice bank returns one check with angry red written all over - DO NOT TRY TO RE-DEPOSIT insufficent funds! Thanks to Aunt Mary - she cost me money as their was a fee associated as the check bounced. Just send a card next time!

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 11:43 am
@Banana Breath,
Oh the guilty gift --- when I was younger and rented an apartment with a roommate - just prior to leaving to my parents to stay a couple of days over Christmas, I brought up a fruit basket to my landlord. I told her this was to thank her for being so helpful whenever we had problems she took care of it right away. It was exactly that - my thoughts to thank her with no expectation of a return gift.

Odd when I came back after Christmas - she gave me a gift - it was a night shirt - kinda personal from a landlord. It was obvious a guilt gift like she felt she had to give me something in return.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 03:33 pm
@Banana Breath,
I wish!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 04:03 pm
I haven't read other responses yet, so avid am I to talk about this. I was an only child whose parents moved around a lot, shy as all get out, and amazed by the gift giving I ran into in an ordinary suburb of Chicago at nine. They were nice to me, and I got some too, over a few years. Then we moved again, to a place where my school was not close and I knew no one in the neighborhood. Not the worst life, of course, as I could still read, and so on.

But, when I got a job at a hospital after school, I gradually got new friends and some of them paid attention to birthdays. I liked it.

Mmm, some years go by, like eight, and I get interested in art. That wasn't immediately relevant but became so later. I was an ordinary earner for decades, but never a high earner. Nevertheless, I like the two and a half careers I've had and don't regret them. Soon enough, with examples from the odd friends (there was DeeDee, who when asked as we all were to bring a tin can to bacteriology 1A to hold stuff, brought a can she painted - she's still a friend).

Gradually I started buying at thrift stores or used book stores, for myself. But sometimes I'd see stuff that fit a friend's likes. Every time I did that, they appeared to be favorite gifts, not just from polite wowsa words. Later on I got poor too - if not the max, close. You would be getting a drawing.

I changed on the matter of buying ribbon and fancy bags or nice paper.
I started making collages of friends' or my own magazines. Scotch tape or equivalent works.
I wish I'd photo'd those. Some of them were big hits. Over time, you could tell my package on the table of wedding gifts.

On gift giving, I get how much it is involved in the world economy, not to mention bribary, or simple social expectation.

I'll say, limit your gifts and make them personal.

Oh, wait, I was supposed to talk about insane experience, I see.
Don't remember one yet but will think on it.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why are people so weird about gifts?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 12:41:35