Anti-Intellectualism in American Life

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 11:02 pm
Perhaps its time to read Hofstadter's 1963 book again to understand Bush's appeal to economic middle and lower class conservatives. ---BBB

Anti-Intellectualism in American Life
by Richard Hofstadter
Spotlight Reviews

A penetrating analysis of the American character, January 1, 2004
Reviewer: Robert W. Moore from Chicago, IL USA

One reviewer below insists that this book, while excellent, is "dated." I find this an astonishing evaluation. What stunned me about this book was how familiar the anti-intellectualism from each period in American history felt. True, we are not today facing McCarthyism--our own particular moment in history feels Orwellian more than anything--but Hofstadter's overall point about anti-intellectualism being a constituent part of the national character has not been invalidated by the past forty years. Indeed, his points have been confirmed at nearly every point. And while the anti-intellectuals in the fifties may have railed against "eggheads," today the GOP directs much of their fury against the "liberal elite." Since most of "the elite" is dirt poor financially, clearly they are aiming their guns at the intellectual elite. Figures Hofstadter quotes from the 18th century sound like they could be one of today's right wing pundits.

Few books that I have ever read have helped me understand the American character as well as this one. Many of the chapters in American history that he chronicles are somewhat forgotten, but just as essential as the more familiar figures and events. I was familiar with much of what he discusses in the role of religion in fomenting anti-intellectualism in America (though he didn't mention one of the most important factors in the spread of anti-intellectual religion in America: the success of denominations that did not require a college education in their ministers--in fact, were suspicious of ministers who possessed much education--due to geographic remoteness from the colonial colleges, so that Methodists and Baptists throve in the South, which was far away from the colleges that existed in 18th century America; therefore, I believe geography played a greater role and the Great Awakening played a smaller role in building anti-intellectualism than Hofstadter credits). I was also aware of the role that Jeffersonian and Jacksonian democracy had played in building a prejudice against literacy and culture. The sections on "The Practical Culture" and "Education in a Democracy," however, covers subjects that were somewhat less familiar to me. I was especially fascinated on the chapters on educational theories of the 20th century, with the educational establishment itself espousing anti-intellectual theories by deemphasizing college preparation for students and instead focusing on vocational training.

I would put this book on the shortest of short lists of books that anyone interested in understanding the American character ought to read. I have a large number of friends from other parts of the world, and to an individual they are baffled and mystified at the almost willful ignorance they have discovered on the part of Americans. Hofstadter's book will assist anyone in understanding why so many Americans are antagonistic towards intellectuals and those who possess an advanced literacy. This is also one of Hofstadter's greatest books. Unbelievably, despite the several classic volumes he penned, Hofstadter died at the early age of 54. He was in his forties when he wrote this. One wonders what classics we are now missing because of his premature death.

Book Smarts vs. Hard Knocks, April 27, 2003
Reviewer: doomsdayer520 fom State College, PA USA

This is Hofstadter's study of trends in academic and social thought up to the 1950's, and it still deserves praise at a general level even though many of the particulars are no longer relevant. It's unfair to say that a book published way back in 1963 is outdated in the present day, so this can best be seen as a period piece, with a social history up to the point of writing. So it does function as a useful look at what was happening intellectually in the 1950's and early 60's.

Hofstadter's subject matter is the unique American disdain for intellectuals and eggheads - a term he actually uses several times, quite surprisingly for such an academic work. American folklore glamorizes the self-made man who conquers the challenges of nature, educating himself with experience - the school of hard knocks - as opposed to the isolated and condescending intellectual who has book smarts but no experience. At the time of writing, the end of the McCarthyist era, anti-intellectualism was especially strong and Hofstadter examines the history of this always shifting issue. He also makes the important distinction between intellectualism and intelligence. Folks usually distrust the former but still respect the latter. Some of Hofstadter's examinations seem highly irrelevant today, like the role of intellectualism in farming or organized labor, but his coverage of issues in public education (including the perennial evolution debate) is depressingly familiar. It seems some things never change.

The writing style is very academic, and dare I say intellectual, so it can be a struggle getting through Hofstadter's obscure issues and references that were more relevant back in 1963. However his political stance is very strong and levelheaded, and his examination of McCarthyism is surprisingly lucid. The only overall problem with this book is that Hofstadter keeps the anti-intellectualism issue at the academic or social-discourse level. There is no coverage of the effects of anti-intellectualism on real people and real social problems, as the fear and hatred of knowledge that was present both then and now can have very unfortunate effects for culture and society.

A truely neo-classic against the Neo-Con, February 29, 2004
Reviewer: mtanaka7 from Tokyo, Japan

Last year, in 2003, the translation of this work was published. I got interested with it and bought one. What I was really surprised is the publication year of 1962(1963). The reason is the work brilliantly described the present America in a deep way as well as the complexity of the nation. I can understand the publication of Morone's Hellfire Nation, which seems excellent work, but I cannot believe Hofstadter's work was published more than 40 years ago. I would not have wondered the work was published in 2003. I assumed the grass roots conservetism which has sustained the Bush Administration might mainly come from anti-liberalism, however, the fact and history has been more complicated. The work vividly clarifies one but imporant aspect of America which is difficult to understand by non-U.S. citizen. Excellent classic!!

Why Hofstadter Should Be King, December 23, 2003
Reviewer: Fascinet

This book discusses the revulsion of technocracy felt by the average American, which continues today. Although Hofstadter uses historical examples and genuflects towards an examination of this sort of "anti-intellectualism," the book often reads as though it was intended an apologia for the role social scientists played in government in the middle part of this century -- a place they still hold in the metastasized governemnts of today's America. Hofstadter makes it clear that he believes that intelligent people should make the important decisions for this country, and Hofstadeter makes it clear that he believes that he is a very intelligent person.

Readily informative comparisons are not made: why is it that otherwise "anti-intellectual" Americans seem, at times, to worship Einstein and other physical scientists and mathematicians, while they continue to scoff at (or ignore) the work of the political scientists and sociologists in Hofstadter's coffee klatch? This book will not tell you.

As with all of Hofstadter's work, this is a poorly thought out project that simplifies issues in order to make a political point. Hofstadter cannot organize a coherent argument nor will he take the time to describe an issue in full, relying upon omission to convince a reader of the value of his thesis.

Actually, not dated so much at all, September 2, 2003
Reviewer: Steve Snyder (see more about me) from Lancaster, Texas United States

I agree with the other reviewers as to the depth of Hofstadter's scholarship in this seminal work. However, in light of George W. Bush's disdain for government careerists, and John Ashcroft's Patriot Act-mentality threatening to reduplicate the 1950s, this book actually isn't that dated. Rather, it could be considered prophetic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 981 • Replies: 0
No top replies