the Greek title "christ"

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 01:39 am
I was told that Alexander the Great was a "christ". The word likely existed long before Christians used it. Was it a word from the Greek religion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,703 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Smileyrius

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2015 04:19 pm
@fimhotep,
it means "chosen" or "anointed" one, Its roots are believed to have come from the Greek word "Khrein" and the Hebrew word "Masiah"

Jesus was attributed many titles that would likely have been designated to or adopted by many before him. "Teacher" "Rabbi" "Lord" all also very common.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2015 06:54 pm
@fimhotep,
Well, the word means "anoited" so in general use it refers to anyone or anything rubbed with oil or fat. It was done medicinally and religiously.
Smileyrius

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 03:22 am
@InfraBlue,
so essentially, the same title was given to Jesus as a well marinated chicken.

Smiley,
hungry
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 02:52 pm
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

so essentially, the same title was given to Jesus as a well marinated chicken.

Smiley,
hungry

Sure, if the marinated chicken was being treated medicinally or anointed religiously.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 03:35 am
@fimhotep,
In Ancient Greece, being anointed with expensive oils could be done by any rich person but the idea of a King being especially anointed by people at ceremonies was to invoke the blessings of the Gods .

In Greek it is Christos, meaning "anointed one", which is a translation of Masiah (Messiah), meaning the "anointed one" . So the literal translation works, but the colloquial connotations in the OT uses it originally with David who is anointed as King . King, High Priest and the True Prophet were all considered anointed by God .

By the time of Jesus, the anointed one was also their saviour who was going to bring about the end of the world and the coming of the last prophet .

When that failed to materialise, despite a good kick start by the Christians burning down Rome, they had to have a second coming which would end the world as Jesus was regarded by Christians (not Jews) to have been that anointed one . To add further confusion, the Christians adopted the Apocrphya as a book on the second coming, when it is definitely about the first .
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 04:56 am
@Ionus,
very specific and interesting information Io, Do you have citations for my own study purposes?

Much appreciated!
Ionus

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 09:03 am
@Smileyrius,
Would you like books or on line ref ? Oh and the last bit about the Christians burning down Rome has been suspected by historians since they broke free from the Church during the Renaissance .
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 09:28 am
@Ionus,
Online references are fine, I'm flexible. I always thought he why part of history to be quite a tricky one to solve, but I do enjoy a good read
Ionus

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 01:19 am
@Smileyrius,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anointing

Highly recommend the following :
http://www.mountainman.com.au/essenes/chrestos%20christos.htm

If you need more, give a whistle .
Smileyrius

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 04:08 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
By the time of Jesus, the anointed one was also their saviour who was going to bring about the end of the world and the coming of the last prophet .

When that failed to materialise, despite a good kick start by the Christians burning down Rome, they had to have a second coming which would end the world as Jesus was regarded by Christians (not Jews) to have been that anointed one . To add further confusion, the Christians adopted the Apocrphya as a book on the second coming, when it is definitely about the first .

Thank you Io, this is the stuff I was particularly interested in
Ionus

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 07:55 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
Certainly, it’s hard to know whether to trust the allegations in the writings of Tacitus. What about the explanation offered by Nero, that the Christians were to blame? At least one scholar believes Nero was on the mark. Professor Gerhard Baudy of the University of Konstanz in Germany has spent 15 years studying ancient apocalyptic prophecies. He has learned that in the poor districts of Rome, Christians were circulating vengeful texts predicting that a raging inferno would reduce the city to ashes. “In all of these oracles, the destruction of Rome by fire is prophesied,” Baudy explains. “That is the constant theme: Rome must burn. This was the long-desired objective of all the people who felt subjugated by Rome.”

Moreover, the Book of Revelation, written a mere 30 years later, seems to equate evil with Rome. The Whore of Babylon, the source of this evil according to Revelations, is described as having seven heads. “The seven heads are seven mountains,” Revelations says. Rome, of course, is famously known as the city of seven hills. What’s more, an ancient Egyptian prophecy that would have been well known in the Christian quarters of Rome foretold the fall of the great evil city on the day that the dog star, Sirius, rises. In 64 A.D., Sirius rose on July 19, the very day the great fire of Rome began. Baudy believes that, bearing this prophetic date in mind, some of the Christians, maltreated and embittered, may have started the fire — or perhaps lit additional fires, adding fuel to the larger conflagration — in hopes of realizing their prophecies.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/great-fire-rome-clues-evidence/1449/

Have a good look at the ref, it has 4 other parts from click on images . Especially the "Interview with Fire Investigator Dave Townsend" .
Smileyrius

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 09:27 am
@Ionus,
Thanks Io, should keep me busy for a while
0 Replies

The Anointed

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2021 12:42 am
@fimhotep,
The word “CHRIST” means “The Anointed One.” Enoch was the one anointed by the Most-High in the creation, ‘The Lord of Creatures,’ as his Heir and successor, (The Son of Man) who is Lord of spirits.

Christ is the English term for the Greek Χριστός (Khristós) meaning "the anointed one" It is a translation of the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Māšîaḥ), usually transliterated into English as Messiah or Mashiach. The Hebrew word translated "anointed" is the verb form of the noun "Messiah."

"The Book of the Secrets of Enoch" 22: 8; "And I fell prone and bowed down to the Lord, and the Lord with his lips said to me: "Have courage, Enoch, do not fear, arise and stand before ‘MY’ face into eternity."

And the archistratiege Michael lifted me up, and led me before the Lord’s face.
[Archistratege. Or, "the commander of the armies of the nations, named Michael."]

And the Most-High said to the glorious creatures that surrounded him, tempting them: "Let Enoch stand before ‘MY’ face into eternity," and the glorious creatures bowed down to the Lord, and said: "Let Enoch go [Or be released] according to Thy word." Enoch, was the first to be released.

And the Lord said to Michael: "Go take Enoch from out his earthly garments, and anoint him with my sweet ointment, and put him into the garments of my glory."

And Michael did thus as the Lord told him. He anointed me, and dressed me, and the appearance of that ointment is more than the great light, and his ointment is like sweet dew, and its smell mild, shining like the sun’s rays, and I looked at myself, and was like one of his glorious ones.

To translate something is to change it from one form to another. Hebrews 11: 5; “By faith Enoch was translated so that he should not experience death, and he was not found because God had translated him.”

The only way that the author of Hebrews could have known that Enoch was translated from a physical body to a spiritual body so that he should never experience death, was, if he had read from the Books of Enoch.
0 Replies