Is it safe to plug 20A device into 30A receptacle?

qnguyen

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 07:56 am
Is there any issue with plugging in a 20A router into a 30A receptacle on a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supplies) ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,434 • Replies: 35
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 09:13 am
@qnguyen,
I'd think not, Guy. What sort of problem might you expect

If it's a crummy design, say high output resistance, a 30A load might be required to load its voltage down to the required value; but very unlikely

If you're at all concerned or if your load is especially sensitive to overvoltage, do acquire a voltmeter

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 09:21 am
@qnguyen,
With such high current such as your describing, it's a fairly odd question for someone to pose. Are you a technical person or a computer engineer or electrical engineer? What do your technical experts advise you on this? This is not something a layman should be messing with.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 09:24 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
This is not something a layman should be messing with
Rag I sort of disagree; Guy's q seems pretty reasonable and I don't see much chance for disaster

Am crossing fingers tho
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 09:28 am
@dalehileman,
My apologies to the OP. This is a total brain fart on my part as this is a different sort of router - not a computer router. Woodworking mechanical application.

This is me bowing out with tail tucked twixt my legs!
dalehileman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 09:45 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
As such, IMHO they're best served by their local experts
I hear ye Rag. But when a guy needs immediate help....

I had this problem, among others, of an annoying password requirement, where several a2k'ers suggested expert help--which would have set me back some $50-$150. But one a2k'er, a rare breed, having had such experience advised that Your Friendly Local Apple store might be of no help at all

Fortunately I have a very adept No. 1 Son who using phone contact resolved my difficulties

Incidentally for others who recently began using the new Apple OpSys, you'll notice how tabs, Contacts, and other such listings seem to disappear for no apparent reason. While there are ways to prevent this, some of them are very involved. One approach is never Shut Down. My No. 1 assures that Sleep instead, consumes only a few watts

Hard to get used to: For weeks you'll end your day still clicking Shut Down. Solution: Using felt pen, on surface of screen, cross out "Shut down"
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 09:53 am
@dalehileman,
scroll back. it was my misunderstanding.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 09:57 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
total brain fart on my part
S'okay Rag, I do it all the time
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 09:58 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Using felt pen, on surface of screen, cross out "Shut down"

This was you being humorous, right?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 10:01 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
This was you being humorous, right?
No no, not at all Rag, perfectly serious. Perhaps you misunderstand, as somehow I often don't get across
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 10:04 am
@dalehileman,
Dale, if you write on your screen that'd be a poor choice, to say the least.
Why not write on a Post-it sticky note and tape it to the edge of the monitor somewhere? Why would you deface the screen and potentially block any text that appears there?

Returning the thread back to OP and running for the hills before Dale writes 'loser' on my forehead with felt-tip pen..
dalehileman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 10:10 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
... that'd be a poor choice....
Oh but why

Quote:
Why not...sticky note...edge of the monitor..
Already there are 15 other such

Quote:
Why would you deface the screen and potentially block any text that appears there?
Hardly a big deal, Rag

Quote:
... before Dale writes 'loser'on my forehead with felt-tip pen..
Whaa, Rag, who, me

Incidentally I'd be first to admit there's a digital way to darken or delete "Shut Down" and I have not the slightest doubt my No. 1 would show me how; but I do overload his Inbox
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 10:14 am
@dalehileman,
Why not write these words backwards on your forehead with a diagonal line through it 'Don't Shut down'? Keep a mirror handy perched right over your monitor facing you so that you always see it!
dalehileman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 10:19 am
@Ragman,
Excellent idea, Rag, I shall dwell upon it

However my Better Half might object
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 10:37 am
@qnguyen,
Oh Guy forgive us. But have we been of any help at all
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 11:46 am
Getting back to the guy's question, 20 Amps is the maximum current the router needs. That means the outlet must supply at least that amount of current. A 30 Amp outlet is one that is rated to deliver up to 30 Amps. That means it is fine for the router. One the other hand if he plugged it into a 10 A or a 15 A outlet he would most likely trip a breaker/blow a fuse. Overvoltage is not an issue.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 11:58 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
Overvoltage is not an issue
Okay Tes, I agree it probably isn't. But how can you be so sure
roger

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 03:18 pm
@dalehileman,
I generally think of this kind of thing as the Load pulling the current, rather than the source Pushing it. Tes is right.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 09:52 am
@roger,
Quote:
Tes is right.
with "Overvoltage is not an issue," I suppose. She's very competent in this area so I suppose she's right. But are you sure

Just pullin' ya leg Rog

Or am I pushin'
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 10:28 am
@roger,
Roger wrote:
I generally think of this kind of thing as the Load pulling the current, rather than the source Pushing it.

Both are true.

1. Forums
  2. » Is it safe to plug 20A device into 30A receptacle?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:48:25