Who do I petition to ban this disgusting book?

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2015 08:36 pm
The name of the book is called "I Wish My Kids Had Cancer: A Family Surviving the Autism Epidemic". Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Wish-Kids-Had-Canc...

This author, Michael Alan, has two autistic kids, and he talks about how he wishes they had cancer instead of autism. Obviously, he thinks autism is worse than cancer. Now, I have asperger's syndrome, and it's not that bad at all. I have friends, because I'm nice to people. Sure, I'm not popular, but I'm happy with the friends I do have. All my condition means is that I'm more comfortable being on my own than being around others, and I have some organization issues and social problems. A lot of my people overlook my awkwardness because I'm nice. So I know that what this author is saying is B.S.

I've never had cancer but you don't have to to know how horrible it is. You could DIE, and you feel like crap. Autism is just mind-threatening. Someone without either cancer or autism should be able to figure out autism is not worse.

Why was such a sick book allowed to be published? Did the author not think parents of kids with cancer would see it? I'm appalled that the book hasn't been pulled yet. How do I petition to ban it?

jespah

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2015 08:45 pm
@grilledthomas,
You do realize you're giving him publicity, right?

Amazon sells Mein Kampf (where it's legal to do so). They are not going to pull this book from their virtual shelves.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2015 08:48 pm
It's all right. He can wish all he likes, but he has to play the cards he has in his hand. I will not bother to read the book, but free speech is a guarantee at least in instances such as this.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 05:46 am
@grilledthomas,
The best you could hope for is to put pressure on Amazon to stop stocking it. That worked with some books that glorify paedophilia. In the UK there's a website, change.org, that helps organise petitions. I don't know what the case is outside the UK.
Ragman

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 05:52 am
@izzythepush,
Change.org is active on this side of the pond, too.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 01:53 pm
Any proceeds from the book are advertised to go to help kids with autism. I didn't get enough information about the book to form a judgment.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 04:18 pm
@Ragman,
https://www.change.org/p/boycott-amazon-barnes-and-noble-and-america-star-books

grilledthomas

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2015 10:39 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Why is it closed?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2015 11:03 am
@grilledthomas,
You could always buy a copy of this book along with other books you don't like... and then burn them.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Who do I petition to ban this disgusting book?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 06:01:00