Is there a (loom) weaver in the house?

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:27 pm
@boomerang,
Oh I just saw your pix. Looks like regular (un figured maple) The beam (The part where that big "Roller" is attached is presently unattached . I dont see much "birdseye" patterns but its not real close up. The beam is attched where those two dark screws and clips are on each side of the back. (The beam usually hooks onto the loom and opens with a hinge along the base of the loom)

Looks like its pretty well taken care of but its all apart (Get the instruction book and put it together for the sale, dust it Polish it up,
Id call te shops but Id guess its about 1500$ only because its not that wide. Most of the pro weavers have 84" and longer because they can do all kinds of rugs and dashikis nd stuff
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:38 pm
@farmerman,
It's birdseye maple. I don't think his looms are rare. I see several of them for sale. The prices are all over the map.

Do you think it would sell at $500?
farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:49 pm
@boomerang,
oh yeh, I was going to say its in the 12 to 1300$ range. Id suggest that someone who knows about putting it together, clean it up. THEN warp the beam as if its ready to go. You could get maybe 1500$

Birdseye or tiger maple are both figured woods that will get a nice patina and the figuring gives an interesting pattern that appears to be almost an iridescent shade of warmer brown .
My wife's Le Clerc is tiger maple like an old "Kentucky Rifle" and new they go for over 5K, an my wifes been offered 3500$

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 06:10 pm
@farmerman,
The birdseye pattern is more visible on other areas of it but it isn't a heavy pattern like I'm used to seeing.

There are a lot of looms for sale on our local craigslist: http://portland.craigslist.org/search/sss?excats=122-2-21-1-17-5&sort=rel&query=loom

The prices are everywhere but $500 seems to be about the price this kind of loom is going for.

There is someone on craigslist looking for a loom. I was thinking about asking her to make an offer but I'm not sure....
Ionus

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 08:50 pm
@boomerang,
The wood should be smooth and well polished . In europe they tend to be made out of red hardwoods but any wood suitable for furniture will do fine . Obviously the more expensive the wood the more valuable the loom . If there is nothing that would catch a thread anywhere, it isnt worn in places or damaged, start at $1500 and see what offers you get . Better to start high than low .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 09:13 pm
@boomerang,
$300 - $500 is the price for table looms in the listing you linked

you've got something more substantial and potentially much more valuable

I'd go with the higher number as suggested by Ionus. The Macomber loom in your CL listing is being offered at $1500.

________

it is hard to tell - sometimes at auctions, the smaller stuff goes for more as people don't have the big spaces they used to. Some area farm auctions don't get $50 for dining room sets - tables/chairs/buffets/servers ... but individual chairs from the sets can go for $200. It's a mad mad auction world.
farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 04:48 am
@ehBeth,
we already know its made of birdseye maple. Thats an exotic wood in US(along with tiger maple and the even rarer"Quilted maple"), its used for high end colonial furniture, musical instruments and gun stocks. It is a very stable wood.

Dont undersell it. I think that Ionus has a point abut starting "higher' and see where it goes.
ARE you selling this at a yard sale? Do you expect to do it in a day? If so, then you could be unercutting yourself.
You didnt show the bench. Is it the same kind of wood? If its a matched feture thats even better.

Sounds like it cpuld be fun. Do you guys have a local web site that adverts for yard and garage sales??? or a local "Shopper newspaper"??

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 06:50 am
We're doing our sale as part of our HUGE neighborhood garage sale. The sale is heavily advertised and usually even gets news coverage. We live in a beautiful, old neighborhood that is close to the city center and people come in from ALL over. Neighborhood maps are printed and for a small fee your sale can be featured on the map -- which we have done. We live on the main boulevard in the neighborhood so I have no doubt we'll have plenty of shoppers. We're also offering (not free) delivery but will probably do free delivery on the more expensive items. We take credit cards too.

We'll probably do some additional advertising since we have a lot of really excellent stuff that you typically wouldn't find at a garage sale.

Starting high and coming down does make the most sense. I just want it to be at a price where someone finds it irresistible.

farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 07:57 am
@boomerang,
well, if anyon knows what new loom cost and can get one that looks in very good condition (Id say it was near mint). They know the del they are getting.
I sold a pottery wheel that way and expected 200 bucks. I got 600 when four people wanted it . They called and sent e mails so I hd a bidders war on myhands.
I didnt know what to ask but it appears that many good crafts equipment hold their values.

Im looking for an intaglio press now and Ive seen some that are almost as pricey as new ones (and the cheap ones are all hogged up so those Im not interested in)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2015 08:51 am
@farmerman,
Oh! I used to want an intaglio press very badly, planning (if I ever gathered the money) to put it in the garage a few feet from my apartment (a whole second floor over a house/owners). Now those were good landlords. They liked me and never raised the rent the six years I lived there.
0 Replies

Sharon Knox

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 12:22 pm
I have this loom only mine has 8 shafts and can be made into 16 shafts. Yours is definitely maple. It also has a worm gear driventensioning that moves your weaving. This is great as it allows for an infinite positions. There should be two more pedals than heddles. Mine also had two back beams. These were all custom made by J-made looms in Oregon City. The man no longer manufactures them.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 04:23:28