Recycling

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 02:27 pm
Open letter to local recycling authority [email protected] and to Victorville, Ca Daily News

I've oft noted very little attention to the matter of properly recycling, either from the media or the folk around me. Supposedly all smart, college people, law-abiding in every other respect. Wonder how many of us take it seriously if at all.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+dirty+not+recycle

Wonder whether you might have noted how little our daily paper helps us decide what’s recyclable and what’s not. Last I can remember was a couple of years ago when some kinds of plastic wrapping was reported recyclable—on page 6.

So please advise for instance the extent to which typical household food discard—eg, plastic container for chocolate pudding or the like, paper plate, etc must be rinsed or otherwise cleaned off to be recyclable. Wonder too about used paper towels and such; often discolored by a spot here and there but not outright greasy or dirty.

We understand foil is recyclable but wonder about the many foils coated or combined with paper or plastic; and how about objects mostly hard plastic but containing metallic parts.

Appreciate a link providing such guidelines. Thank you.

Dale Hileman
Apple Valley

roger

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 02:45 pm
@dalehileman,
Well, yes. Most recycle projects seem designed to make someone feel good about themselves, without regard to the economics.

Penn and Teller has a great video on the subject. I'm not going to track it down.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 10:59 pm
@dalehileman,
http://ci.victorville.ca.us/Site/CityServices.aspx?id=296

This is from your local authority's website:

Curbside Recycling Guidelines
Put all recyclables mixed together in your blue recycling container. Put the container out in the street, with the wheels up against the curb, by 6:00 am of your collection day. Place the container at least 2 feet away from your trash bin or any other obstructions like fire hydrants or cars.

If you have questions, call a City of Victorville Customer Service Representative at (760) 955-5001.
Make sure to check our Recycling Questions and Answers before you call.

Here's what the City will accept in the recycling bins:

Clean, Mixed Paper:
- Newspapers, magazines
- Junk mail, envelopes
- Advertising inserts, catalogs, telephone books
- Corrugated cardboard, computer paper, notebook paper
- Paper tubes, paper bags, wrapping paper, packing paper
- Old calendars, file folders, cereal boxes, shoe boxes, tissue boxes, etc.,
Do not recycle: Any paper that is soiled or wet. No paper towels, tissues, napkins, diapers, paper plates, paper cups, waxed paper, and no photographs.

Bottles & Cans: (Please empty and rinse all cans and bottles.)
- Glass bottles and jars
- Tin and aluminum cans
- Metal lids from jars and cans
- Aluminum foil and food trays
- Plastic bottles, jars, tubs, or trays labeled #1 through #7

Do not recycle: Other “glass” items--light bulbs, dishes, window glass, Pyrex, etc. Also, no plastic toys, flower pots, tires, carpets. No gas cans or tanks. No scrap metal. No Plastic bags. No Styrofoam - even with #6 on it.

Beverage Containers (CRV):
- Glass bottles
- Aluminum cans
- Any plastic bottles (#1-#7) with CRV symbol

Other Recycling Opportunities:
There’s more to recycling than just cans, bottles, and papers. If you would like information on how to recycle scrap metal, appliances, tires, or household items, or if you would like information on how to mulch your grass or compost, please call the City Recycling Program at 955-8615 or the Mojave Desert Recycling Info line at 1-888-URECYCLE.

Victor Valley Residents can also recycle items at the Victor Valley MRF and Buy Back Center. The MRF accepts TVs, computers, corrugated cardboard, and scrap metal, as well as mixed paper, bottles and cans. See the MRF page for more information.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 11:44 am
@ekename,
Thank you Eke most kindly
The link however does not appear to be a valid email add.

Edited to note it's a Google site, of course. However, this site lists dozens of other sites, and I'm not sure which one I should contact for the desired guidelines
ekename

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2015 02:21 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
and I'm not sure which one I should contact for the desired guidelines

What I posted are the guidelines for your local area and include the telephone number to call if you have additional questions.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2015 10:14 am
@ekename,
Thank you again Eke but the site lists dozens of phone numbers and Google addresses. Lazy as I am, I was hoping for a link to the most appropriate recipient

A well-written email has ten times the effect of a random phone call to some proletarian....
ekename

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2015 10:13 pm
@dalehileman,
You said you want the guidelines so I posted the guidelines.

Then you said you want to email them for the guidelines.

Your first post indicates that you already have the email address.

Your local council's website includes the following information on the "recycling " drop down box on the website I posted which is probably where you got the email address in the first place:

For more information, call the City of Victorville Recycling Division at (760) 955-8615,or email [email protected]

The link doesn't list dozens of other sites, the drop down boxes are individual components of your council.
FBM

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2015 10:34 pm
I realize that Korea is not America, but recycling is universal here, and if I can guarantee you one thing, it's that if it weren't (or couldn't be made) economically advantageous, Koreans wouldn't do it.
roger

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2015 10:55 pm
@FBM,
Maybe they have a different relationship between labor and resources. Apparently, the only thing around here that makes economic sense is aluminum cans - unless you don't count free labor of all the households cleaning and sorting their trash.
FBM

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2015 11:02 pm
@roger,
One major difference is that, by law, every set of apartments has a set of recycling bins automatically built in. Pick-ups are regularly scheduled. For smaller residences, there are designated street corners where everyone brings their recyclables and other trash to be picked up. The recyclables and trash must be put out in special bags that you have to buy, which generates the revenue for the pick-ups.

Also, there is a plentiful informal workforce of elderly people who push carts around the streets, picking up anything recyclable. They sell what they find to recycling centers that are sprinkled around the city. They are quasi-homeless or otherwise destitute people who manage to scrape out a living this way.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2015 09:40 am
@ekename,
Eke thanks again for all the valiant effort on my behalf and I'm sure you're correct that a study of the site, queries by phone etc, will reveal specific email links appropriate to my inquiry, and again apologize for such laziness
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2015 10:02 am
@roger,
Quote:
Apparently, the only thing around here that makes economic sense is aluminum cans...
Rog, hereabout are three different forms of refuse out here in the Mojave Desert (1) Garbage, of course worthless; (2) Vege cans and other containers that can be carried off to a recycling station, inserted one at a time for a pittance but otherwise simply separated into a separate bin for regular pickup; but (3) remunerables such as beer bottles, aluminum cans, and certain kinds of plastic bottles that can be saved up and later carried off in bulk to a recycling station set up for this kind of trash, by our No. 1 Son

Only disadvantage, at this recycling station he first has to separate the three or four different sorts for weighing separately, but the endeavor must be worth it because he comes back typically with $30 - $60

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2015 10:19 am
@ekename,
Eke I did in fact contact darmstrong, no luck yet, in the hope they might be able to provide an appropriate link. Problem is, my inquiry is more highly technical than typically handled by such sites as you've listed

I've also contacted several editors of our Friendly Local Victorville Daily Press on the matter, hoping to raise interest on the editorial page

But again thanks loads for your suggestions
ekename

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 11:17 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Problem is, my inquiry is more highly technical than typically handled by such sites as you've listed

What are your "highly technical" questions?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 06:44 am
@ekename,
"How do I use the telephone?"

That's a little mean, but an obvious solution to Dale's problem.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 10:46 am
@ekename,
Quote:
What are your "highly technical" questions?
For example, Eke, while "foil" wrapping alone is recyclable, how about the many such partly paper, plastic, etc

While hard plastic is of course recyclable, my Better Half wonders about objects such as bottle caps containing other substances such as cork or cardboard; of course to what extent is a slight presence of its former content allowable

...and to what extent other plastic objects with metal parts

Maybe a third of all discarded substances are questionable in some way. If we knew better what's recyclable and what's not, we cold save the Waste Authorities tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars resorting
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 10:48 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
"How do I use the telephone?" That's a little mean,

No it's not Oss. All sorts of responses welcome

Quote:
...but an obvious solution to Dale's problem.
Phone calls are largely worthless. You never know whether your respondent has any authority at all, and then afterward there's no satisfactory record
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Recycling
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 12:56:14