Independence Day - Why Do You Celebrate or Not??

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 01:02 pm
Can you trace your roots back to America before she was "free"?
Do you proudly celebrate the liberation of the colonies from Britain?
What is your take on the celebration of this day for African/Latino/Asian/Italian - Americans? Is there any significance in celebrating this day if your ancestors were not a part of the initial celebrating of freedom.....fought for and won way back when?

Around this time of the year I sometimes get a little funky. I have as many white friends as black and generally when we're sitting around talking someone does a 'what are y'all doing? verbal poll' and I always say "nothing." I always have to explain the way I feel which is that this day, as I understand it, doesn't mean anything as for as black people (or those of other ethnicities in America) are concerned. This is not dwelling in the past, b/c the celebration IS about the freedoms the revolutionaries fought for and won. Is that not right? My feeling is (and I ask a lot of my friends that do big bbq and fireworks and such) that this day, it's reason for being celebrated, is totally not related to Black people, as our ancestors as a whole were not free (save the a very small population) at this time.

What do you think about other races of people celebrating this day and why they celebrate it? I DO understand that maybe some celebrate BECAUSE they're now american and we're a very free country, but I mean as it pertains to the gaining of freedoms (mainly indivuallly).

I hope I put myself across alright and my intention is NOT to cause division (is it ever?) but to see what y'all think.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,694 • Replies: 45
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 01:25 pm
Huh. Interesting perspective.

My perspective is essentially pagan. I think that there are lots of seasonal celebrations with reasons for them tacked on. Let's have a festival of lights during the winter solstice! -- oh, it's cause this guy Jesus was born, uh-huh. Let's have a mid-summer celebration! Uh, it's cause of America becoming independent, uh-huh.

So, I just celebrate summer, I don't really get into the reason behind it too much. That may be shallow of me, I dunno. Or maybe America's liberation is shallower than the ancient mid-summer rites.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 01:29 pm
Good question.

I suppose it's the same situation you have with the American flag--each individual can ascribe his own meaning to the symbol, taking into consideration the politics, history, mainstream ideology associated with it as well. Everyone chooses to celebrate according to their understanding of what the USA means, what it stands for in words and what it stands for in action.

I certainly believe that there are things not to be taken for granted, privaleges in this country. However they are inaliable (sp?) rights, and we shouldn't go too far in patting ourselves on the back for them, if we truly believe this is the way we are SUPPOSED to live. In other words, I don't congratulate myself for not punching someone in the face on my way to work each morning, people should be allowed to walk down the street without getting punched. People are SUPPOSED to be free.

So I don't understand the Toby Keith brand of patriotism, and maudlin and romantic idea of America. Because it's B.S. It's not based on reality, it's based on movies.

Acknowledge your understanding of the truth. Celebrate that. Undoubtedly this will involve criticism, but appreciation at the same time.

I remember going to a public celebration held each year in the suburb of Milwaukee I grew up in. I had gone to this thing year after year as a kid and loved all the food and games. In college I returned with a friend. I remember loving all the decorated bikes and crepe paper as a kid, but this time not really embracing it as much. Shirking away from the traditional songs played by a local eledery brass band. So we went down to the river, sat in a tree, smoked a joint, saw a blue heron--and the music in the background sort of gave me a different perspective of patriotism. Everything I could see from the vantage point, the birds, the water, was part of America. And I could celebrate that.

That sounds like a stereotypical undergraduate, stoner p.o.v., sorry.

I appreciate my right to speak out against the crimes of the past and those perpetuated to this day. I'll celebrate that, no doubt, with some grilled chicken, beer, and my horseshoe pit.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 01:38 pm
Gargamel wrote:
and my horseshoe pit.

can i play? lol I used to be pretty good back in the day...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 01:43 pm
I smile more than I celebrate. BBB found a Molly Ivins column that sums up my position:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/about28028.html

I'm all for "We, the people," not the population of July, 1776, but of July, 2004.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 01:47 pm
I was delighted to re-affirm my Canadian citizenship yesterday. I was affirming and celebrating what it means to me to be a Canadian now.

A different populace than Noddy refers to, but the same general sentiment.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:05 pm
onyxelle wrote:
Gargamel wrote:
and my horseshoe pit.

can i play? lol I used to be pretty good back in the day...

Any time!
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:16 pm
I do not know exactly why, but I have been very patriotic my entire life. I am most patriotic in my family.

I just have a great love for my country, and The Star Spangled Banner puts tears in my eyes every time.

I take off my hat when the colors are presented, and I think of the men and their families who sacrificed everything to create what we call America--the United States.

And I guess you think that's all weird considering that none of my relatives shed any blood in the Revolutionary War.

My Mom's family came from England and Germany several generations ago, and my Dad himself escaped the Communists in China during WWII.

So maybe my patriotism stems from his side--he knew Communism first-hand. He fled his homeland when the new Chinese goverment took control of his family. He knew he could never return, and he was always cautious when writing to his family--he was afraid that his family would be harmed if his letters (which were opened by Gov't officials) gave away too much information about his new life in the USA.

Dad came here with only dreams of success and a good work ethic. He loved being American, and made sure we all went to watch the fireworks every Independence Day.

Of course, maybe the fireworks just reminded him of his homeland...Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:48 pm
Why I celebrate: because my friends and family do

Why I do not celebrate: because nations are lines in the sand, I have lived in 10 countries and can't be bothered with each "special" day. American independence means the same to me as Brazilian independence or any other stupid nationalistic day.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 07:17 am
ehBeth wrote:
I was delighted to re-affirm my Canadian citizenship yesterday. I was affirming and celebrating what it means to me to be a Canadian now.

I think this is probably the closest to my own feelings ('cept for the whole Canadian thing and all! Very Happy )

Whether your ancestors where here in 1776 or not you can still look at how the ideals they fought for apply to you today and celebrate the freedoms you have now. Most white's can't trace their ancestry back to Revolutionary times here in the US either but they still celebrate (my own ancestors were in Quebec at the time!).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 07:49 am
I like pageantry and tradition, so I celebrate. It's much like the annual Thanksgiving Day parade with me, an atheist counting his "blessings."
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 08:13 am
I think I'm going to stay in. 3 weeks of not smoking isn't enough to get drunk on, and drunk is what I'll get if go to any of these parties.

It never occurred to me that someone might feel their ancestors need to have been here (and free) 2 centuries ago in order to celebrate our independence. I would have thought just living in the greatest country in the world would be enough to be grateful to the people who made it possible.

I suspect most people celebrate because they can; days off work, lots of parties going on, etc... without ever considering the reason why.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 08:43 am
pm. Ive gotta go an move sheep into new pastures. ive got my own ideas though.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 09:01 am
I love my country.

I wasn't around for my mother's birth, but I celebrate her birthday. Because I love her. On her day, I don't broil over her inperfections, our arguments... but, my overall sentiment and appreciation.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 10:55 am
Sofia wrote:
I love my country.

I wasn't around for my mother's birth, but I celebrate her birthday. Because I love her. On her day, I don't broil over her inperfections, our arguments... but, my overall sentiment and appreciation.

Sofia ......beautifully said!

And I celebrate it not just because of my love for my country......but I celebrate it cuz it happens to be MY birthday too....hehe Razz

~Brooke
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 11:01 am
Well then, since I probably won't see you tomorow,
Happy Birthday Darling!

(((((Brooklyn)))))
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 11:10 am
Onyxelle--

For the last 24 hours--on and off--I've been trying to comprehend what actions on my part (as one representative of a sometimes repressive race) could to to ameliorate or disspate your anger.

In the 40's (at my mother's decree--I was eight years old) my sister and I were cabin mates at a Girl Scout Camp for two black girls from the inner city. Through the '50's I made many black friends through scouting.

In the late '50's I picketing for integration in Baltimore.

In the early '60's I contributed money (a small amount, but it left me strapped) to sponsor a Freedom Rider.

In the '70's I was a mentor to an inner city black mother of twins (sired by a middle-class black no good anxious to experience the Real Black Experience).

Through the '80's I made it very clear to my stepsons that prejudice of any sort was not acceptable.

From '89 through the present, I've been living in rural PA. I've done some fund raising for restoration for a historic black church and station on the Underground Railway.

What more can I do to make you--individually and as a member of your proud race--a citizen of America?

PS: Onyxelle expressed her rage not so much in the current thread, but in a very powerful piece of poetry, here.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27986&highlight=
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 11:23 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Well then, since I probably won't see you tomorow,
Happy Birthday Darling!

(((((Brooklyn)))))

Bill,

Muahhhhhhh! A big hug back to you and a soft lil kiss on yer cheek....hehe Embarrassed (((((((Bill))))))

~Brooke
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 12:23 pm
Bill sounded like a typical blind, flag-waving patriot when he wrote:
I would have thought just living in the greatest country in the world would be enough to be grateful to the people who made it possible.

That's why everyone in the world hates us, Bill. We used to be a great country, not any more. We're a bunch of smug, arrogant, condescending flag-waving fools who are blind to what's happening around us.

What makes us any better than Canada? Or Australia? Or England? How about Finland? Or Italy?

Screw that "greatest country in the world" crap.

We ain't no better than the rest of them.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 12:40 pm
not only do we have the baddest bombs, we are damn proud to have the baddest bombs.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Independence Day - Why Do You Celebrate or Not??
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:52:57