26 and deciding if going away for University is the right thing to do

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 12:24 am
Dear Readers,
As I'm sorting out my life and figuring out what direction to take long-term (next 2-4 years) going away for school has been on my heart lately. Currently I'm working on an Associates Degree in my towns local Community College. I have always thought and dreamed about what it would be like to go away to a State University. I'm 26, not married and no kids. Based on the stories I have heard and researching it seems like it would be a very good experience, besides the partying which I'm not enthralled by anyway, what are your thoughts and opinions about this? Keep in mind, I am 26 and have already been in the working field for some-time so I realize it may be a different experience for me than it would be for an 18 or 19 year old. No pun intended. Also, it it were to work out I would be totally devoted to school meaning attending full-time, joining a group and possibly working one day a week.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 503 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 07:22 am
@LiveLoughLaugh24,
Then do it.

But it'll be cheaper if you live at home. Since you're already somewhat on your own, it seems, then the dorm experience, while nice, won't do too much for you, particularly if you're not interested in the social aspect. Plus you're a lot older than that crowd already.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 07:39 am
Many at university will be the age you say, but also there will be some portion who are older. Often older students are more serious about their classes. A lot of people have to string out their education for financial reasons. Some of us change careers - I went back to school at 40. Sometimes you see someone show up in the newspaper as graduating in their seventies.

I agree with Jespah's points too.
0 Replies