Drilling into brick walls.

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 02:49 pm
Hi. I need to drill a few holes into an external brick wall. Can I drill into the mortar rather than the bricks as I'd prefer not to damage the bricks. Would you recommend this ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,427 • Replies: 9
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 03:02 pm
Sure you can, if the mortar is in good condition and you have proper anchors.
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 04:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
I was going to drill into a brick wall to hang an antique fire insurance plaque. I it better to drill the concrete or the brick?
My masonry drill is a good ole piece of work.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 04:11 pm
@farmerman,
Usually you get a stronger hold in the brick itself. I have done it both ways, with good results, but I wasn't hanging an anvil up there any of the times.
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 04:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good, Ill probably set an anchor in a bit of a masonary epoxy. The fire plaques have two holes to hold them (usually in the eaves of a building)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 04:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
I haven't done it in years and that was - I think - into the long hardened mortar; I think I remember using a concrete bit. Ah, I see, they're called masonry bits as well.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 04:45 pm
@ossobuco,
The mortar at the apartments I just retired from is washing out and in need of constant repair. Naturally I would go in the bricks there. Each situation must be weighed, according to your own judgment.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 04:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Definitely.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 07:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
they make a chemical liquid "Hardener" for mprtar now, just like the hardener for rotten wood. It gets pulled through the spalling concrete via the increased permeability. Then I guess it sets up with a chemically stable gel like those silica gels that harden ito ROCKS over night.
Pretty nifty if you hve an old stone barn or outbuilding that is beginning to deteriorate. Then, on top, (I assume that the mortar is faced a bit), its filled in with new concrete with some of the same silca gel
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 07:10 pm
@farmerman,
That will be a project for the new guy. I retired from there a week ago.
0 Replies