Reply Mon 11 May, 2015 11:56 pm
@vince8388,
Fern leaf?

Trout fillet?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 04:13 am
@vince8388,
Looks like it might be a fossil. But hard to say for sure. Approximately where was it found? What geologic time period are the rocks from?
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 04:29 am
@vince8388,
looks like some kind of coelenterate, or a part of a crown of a crinoid but its difficult because the picture needs more contrast and, a suggestion for future photos, always put something in the picture for scale, like a quarter, or a small ruler.
Rock age is good too, because then you could look it up .
0 Replies

vince8388

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 06:28 am
@rosborne979,
From Ordovician age i do believe and possibly Cambrian
found at the bottom of the these cliffs on Bell island Newfoundland Canada
I don't think they came from the bottom and possibly was from upwards from a cave in
also found this about 2 feet above sea level
http://i.imgur.com/IqC3Wbr.jpg
This was a out of the blue adventure to find a very old beach that was used by some of the earliest fishermen to North America .They stopped here to get fresh water
Next time there i will get better images and use a ruler
rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 02:48 pm
@vince8388,
In that case it's probably a fossil. That area is ripe with fossils. But I still don't know what type of fossil it is. It would help to have more/better views of the fossil and if there was something in the frame for reference (a coin or something).

It sort of looks like a tube worm to me.
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 03:05 pm
@rosborne979,
ince it from the ORDOVICIAN, a special (very unique and "zonated") fossil that defines the EARLY ORDOVICIAN is a fossil called the Didymograptus. Its one of the largest of the graptolite fossils and graptolites only occur in the Ordovician. They are a wordlwide "index" fossil (they had a very large range and a very short temporal duration).
Ill see if I cant fond something on em. They are known to have been up to 3 meters long . Graptolites are a sort of "unknown animal""
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 07:21 pm
@farmerman,
theres lotsa photos of didymograptus but none of the really big ones. Also, I meant that Didymograptus is only found in the Irdovician, not alll graptolites (although most of em were becoming extinct in the Early Devonian)
0 Replies