Influence of experience on wage

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 11:10 am
Hello Able2Know-Members,

i am new to the forum and already have a (in my eyes) complex theoretical problem that i hope you can help me with.

I am analysing a linear regression: The influence of job experience (indipendent variable) on the worker wage (dependent variable) in the USA in the year 1980.

In the first run, with other variables like education and family state, the job experience has a positive influence on the recieved wage.
But if i analyse the isolated influence of the experience on the wage, it has a negative influence.

My thoughts were that maybe in the year 1980, if you had a lot of working experience, you were less educated an therefore receive less wage. Also the standard deviation is relativly high, so maybe there is no correct statement you can conclude...

Anyways, i would like to know what possible reasons for this negative influence you could think of. Please let me know if you need any additional informations or real figures to the case.

Thank you in advance
Michael
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 435 • Replies: 1
No top replies

puzzledperson

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 04:38 pm
@Micheal7777777,
What do you mean by "more experience"? This could mean either more experience in a particular position at a particular company, or more experience in a particular job field, or simply more years working (because older).

Someone who has had the same exact job title for a very long time (as opposed to moving from apprentice to journeyman to master over a career) may have low skills and/or be stuck in a low-skill (thus low paying) job.

Older (i.e. middle aged or elderly) workers might have a lot of job experience but only be working part-time to supplement Social Security; and PT work often pays a smaller weekly wage; or they might be reluctant to agitate for a raise based on experience for fear of being replaced by younger, entry level workers at less cost. This is particularly true in a job market where unemployment is high (as in 1980) since replacement workers may accept lower pay for employment. (When they do, the correlation changes; but in 1980 that had not yet happened.).

Another possibility is that in 1980 because of life expectancy differences between males and females, and/or youth prejudice which favored younger males for jobs but permitted older females, and because females tended to earn much less than males (e.g. secretarial work), more experienced (i.e. older) workers were skewed toward lower paid women workers.

What are your results for other years before and after?
0 Replies