What're you doing when taking a bus, train or other vehicles?

Lea Yu

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 09:40 am
Last week, I was on a train, and besides me was an elder oversea foreigner who was in his 50s. On sitting he took out a book and began to read. After about 30 minutes, he reached his destination. It surprised me he didn't even let go of such a short time to read. It was hard to imagine in China, for we're used to playing mobile phones or just sitting there doing nothing instead of reading books when taking bus or subway. I wonder whether foreigners are born to love reading books or are taught to do this by parents and teachers. Is reading universal among foreign people?

View best answer, chosen by Lea Yu
Ragman

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 10:00 am
@Lea Yu,
If you think about being 'foreign' where your language isn't the primary language, reading is a preferred activity. I know it would be with me. When I was in school, my teachers taught us that when faced with a 10-minute interval or more that can be filled when being a passenger or in a train or bus, reading is useful a good brain activity...stimulating the brain.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 11:40 am
On my bus ride to and from work, I might read my newspaper or a book, or surf the web on my smart phone. I also read books in trains and planes. I don't see what is strange about this. In my country we get free newspapers put in the buses for the passengers to read.
0 Replies

Linkat
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 12:54 pm
@Lea Yu,
Maybe it helps if everyone puts in where they are from....

I am from the US - Boston area. I read on the subway and other modes of transportation - unless of course I am driving. I see many others using their mobile phones, watching videos, playing games, etc. And often times talking to others.

I used to always use an actual book, until my family gave me a nook (tablet reader) for my birthday - now I read books, but in electronic format. If it is very crowded, I might not take it out. And have on occassion spoken with other passengers even those I do not know.

But I love to read - not everyone in the US/Boston area does - so I guess you do whatever you like.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 12:59 pm
@Lea Yu,
I often read when using public transit. Sometimes I knit instead. Occasionally I pull out the camera if I'm travelling through an unfamiliar neighbourhood. Sometimes I'll play a game on my smartphone but that gets boring verra verra fast.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 01:11 pm
An elder in his 50s?
OMG!
I must be walking dead!

But if I'm on a public conveyance, it's Sudoku first, then NYT crossword.
Lea Yu

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 07:34 pm
@neologist,
Sorry to bother you. In China we use elder to show respect...
FBM

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 07:47 pm
@Lea Yu,
I'm American. I generally don't get on a bus or train without something to read or a pad and pencil to write on. I read or write for a while, then spend time staring out the window, digesting what I've read or written. On those rare occasions that I don't have reading or writing materials, I meditate.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 11:19 pm
@Lea Yu,
No problem
I'm 73
I was beginning to worry Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 11:41 pm
@neologist,
Neo and I are the same age. Here's to you, Neo.

Me, if I don't have something at hand to read, I can feel bereft. Not if I am just going to the grocery store, but if I am on a trip, I want a book. I also am keen on looking out at the land or sky. Looking at places. How those places work, what is happening there.

So, it depends on what I am seeing; if sort of all the same and I am used to it, I need a book. If new to me, I'll be glued to the window.

sol
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 11:43 pm
People reading books on a bus or train in 2015? I use light rail and rail in Seattle and I rarely see people and books.

I like to look out the window while sipping a cold beverage. Increasingly I look at my hand held computer device instead (aka phone).
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 06:44 am
Going in and about the city I usually look at what is happening, watch people and just relax and am content.
On longer trips by train or plane I always have a book to read, I like to look out the window, often get in contact with people and take it easy and just relax.
0 Replies

EllaGrace

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 05:06 am
I also read a lot when on public transport. However I get easily sick that's why I mainly read in the underground and not on the bus. I often also just listen to music and just stare out of the window.
0 Replies