What are some creative ways to film a battle in a short film without using violence?

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 02:37 pm
It's for a class project. My teacher put us into groups, and we had to pick a battle from the Civil War to 'portray / film' in a short 5-10 minute video. We chose the Battle of Bull Run.

Catch is: we must keep it strictly PG, meaning we can't show any guns, bombs, knives, etc. It doesn't really make sense because, you know, how are you going to show a WAR BATTLE without any weapons?!

She said we can do twists on it, like instead of actual guns and bullets, you can do like a 'rap battle', a 'dance battle,' etc. Just can't involve weapons.

Now the ones I mentioned were already taken, so what are some other creative ways we could portray the Battle of Bull Run for our project?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 480 • Replies: 4
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 02:41 pm
have them rap battle? (edited...for some reason I saw the battle of little big horn on first read)

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 02:43 pm
@caraballoeli,
Forgive me, but I immediately thought of this:

And it might not be such a bad idea. How's about a war of words, or comedy? Or songs? The North and the South both had pretty distinct songs (When Johnny Comes Marching Home, Dixie, etc.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 03:15 pm
From the vantage point of a general behind the lines, receiving reports?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 03:17 pm
Along the same lines as what Jespah suggested, you could do something similar to what Bobby McFerrin did to re-enact the Wizard of Oz in song. You have to watch the whole thing to get the idea of the concept. It gets better and better toward the end.

You could take one of the songs from the era, like what Jespah suggested, and create a whole bunch of scenes from it like Bobby did for the Wizard of Oz.

Maybe rent the Gone With the Wind movie or some other movies of the era and see what you might be able to re-enact from them.
0 Replies