Can I slow cook in short intervals?

rm

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 12:53 pm
I'm making ramen broth, cooked over twelve hours (some people cook it far longer). I'd rather not leave my gas stove on overnight, so I'm wondering whether the same effect - breaking down collagen in meat and bones - can be achieved by cooking the broth in intervals of four hours over a few days. The broth would be refrigerated in between. It's not ideal, but I would think that the same collagen-gelatin conversion would take place... right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 676 • Replies: 3

Ragman

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 01:13 pm
@rm,
I would use a crockpot (electrical..low wattage). that's what they're for. I've cooked stews and broths for 12 hr and have had fine results .
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 01:21 pm
@Ragman,
what he said.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 01:45 pm
I finally bought a small crockpot maybe six years ago and I use it fairly often. A bigger one than I have would probably be better, a good addition for some cooking. But.. I still like my dutch oven on low gas. Yes, I sometimes start making stock, etc, later in the day and don't want to keep it going overnight. If it's already quite cooked down, I will even just cover it and let it sit on the stove over night. It'll cook some more in the morning anyway. (This odd advice comes from a microbiology major.) Alternately, it is both wise and reasonable to refrigerate it overnight and start again in the morning, at low medium to get it warmed up, and then back to low and slow. It'll still be fine, re breakdown and so on.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can I slow cook in short intervals?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:12:48