Hotmail to offer more email space, offers 2 Gigabytes

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 02:33 pm
Microsoft boosts storage capacity in e-mail war

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- Microsoft Corp. plans to give paying customers for its Hotmail e-mail service 2 gigabytes of storage and boost the size limits on free accounts, matching similar moves earlier this month by rival Yahoo Inc., the company said Wednesday.

Microsoft also said that it will roll out free e-mail and anti-virus protection to all the 170 million MSN Hotmail customers worldwide that will both scan and clean incoming and outgoing e-mail for viruses and worms before they can enter a customer's inbox.

The changes will start early in July, Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,235 • Replies: 19
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 02:41 pm
Craven, explain something to me. If I am a paying customer of Hotmail, how do I get connected to the Internet if I don't have DSL or some other always on service? Does Hotmail provide a dialup link? Can it be used for web surfing also?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 02:45 pm
Hotmail is a mail service, MSN offers internet service.

Personally I recommend against using ISP email, and I also recommend against using email providers. I recomend registering your own domain and hosting it wherever you want and never having to change it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:48 pm
Would you change it for $$$?

A coworker recently settled with a company who wanted his long ago registered domain name for $50,000. First they tried to take it from him until they realized he'd registered it before they even existed.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:20 pm
Depends on how much money. I'd not sell the able2know.com domain for 50,000.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 06:32 pm
Update: the free account upgrade is to 250 MB.
0 Replies

skuamb

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 03:54 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

i can't seem to find the link to upgrade my account to 250MB... or maybe it isn't available yet?
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 03:58 pm
I'm happy with my newly expanded Yahoo email mailbox. Cool
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 04:00 pm
how strange, they've been reducing the email size for the last 1 or 2 years.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 07:19 pm
The reduction of email storage was spurred by the dot com bust, the advertising prices collapsed and the portals were looking to monetize through subscriptions.

Lowering the limit was meant to entice paid subscriptions.

Now, there is a new player on the market (Google) who is threatening the big email providers (Microsoft and Yahoo) because they threaten Google's search dominance.

Competition is good, I can't wait till there's real search competition as well.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 07:24 pm
skuamb wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

i can't seem to find the link to upgrade my account to 250MB... or maybe it isn't available yet?

Me either, I still have 2mb and it sucks. Help craven!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:15 am
I don't believe the storage upgrade has rolled out, some of the other changes have, but I haven't seen the storage upgrade yet either.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 06:52 am
The 100MB upgrade from yahoo! is very convenient, not only for storage, but also for sending and receiving attachment. And for me, more than enough!
0 Replies

Woofdog2

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:49 pm
yes i heard google will be launching gmail sometime in the future, offering a free 1gb of space and a google search engine to find an e-mail in your inbox.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:50 pm
I've got one of the beta g-mail accounts. It's hard to tell how useful it's going to be, without more people to practice with.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 10:07 pm
Thanks for linking us back here, RP.

Seems like the hotmail roll-out of the increased free account size is well underway, and I think all Yahoo users have the larger accounts now. It's an embarassment of riches. I definitely don't have enough to say to fill 4 email accounts. I used to, when you only had enough room for about 20 messages!
0 Replies

kevin smithers

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:15 pm
Hotmail
Hi All,
I have been using HOtmail for about 5 years now and its been fine I don't check my mail on the web I use Outlook Express and guess what Hotmail have just done?????

Taken away the ability to access your email with Outlook and other email programmes unless you pay to be upgraded.

So I can't wait to get my hands on a Gmail account as Gmail DOES allow pop3 access not that you will need it with the amount of storage and I have heard they have a little programme that tells you when there is mail in your indox so you don't have to go to the website evry hour to check your mail Laughing GREAT Laughing

Regards

Kev
0 Replies

kevin smithers

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:16 pm
Hotmail
They should change the name from Hotmail to NOTmail Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:59 pm
Hotmail did upgrade my online storage to 250MB...
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:23 pm
Yep, mine too, last week I believe!
0 Replies