Waters vs. Pink floyd

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:57 am
Is there any one else out there who agrees that without Roger Waters Pink Floyd became a shadow of the band they once were.
Now don't misunderstand me here - they're still one of my favorite bands and Gilmore is a fantastic musician. But when you really get down to it, it wasn't just the music that made Floyd great - it also had plenty to do with the lyrics, thanks to Roger.
I'll keep this short and sweet for now - I'm interested in what you lot think - but here's just one more point to back up my argument: have you heard the solo albums of Roger Waters. They are phenomenal! And many many times greater than the albums Floyd brought out without Waters.
I'm hoping this will start a heated discussion!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,376 • Replies: 10
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:50 pm
the problem with pink floyd is, which pink floyd does one like best, there are at least 3 distinct bands

1: syd barretts pink floyd, interesting slice of late 60's early 70's psychedelica

2: pink floyd, defined by dark side of the moon, wish you were here and possibly animals (although that album starts to tip towards the last incarnation)

3: roger waters pink floyd, the last two albums the wall and the final cut

i my self am a big fan of #2, with selected bits from #1 thrown in for good measure

the wall came out when i was 18 and i thought it was a great album, but i have tired of it over the years (i love the film though and have a bootleg of the audio from the film), the re-release of the final cut this year brought a new respect for this album

as for waters solo, i always expect more than he delivers, it's never quite there enough for me

floyd without waters, momentary lapse of reason was a passable album (saw the concert for this release, and even though waters was long gone, it was still a hell of a show), but i never cared enough to listen to the division bell
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:24 pm
Meddle is probably my favorite Floyd album, so I guess I like that incarnation. Syd was always good for entertainment though, and I do enjoy his solo album The Madcap Laughs, mostly because it is so incredibly unhinged. I got tired of The Wall after a while, but I have recently revisited it, and still think it's fantastic, but ONLY if listened to in it's entirety. Post Wall Floyd I'm not too familiar with. I didn't like The Final Cut, and Floyd without Waters seems like a waste of time.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:27 pm
I sooooo agree with what djjd62 said!
0 Replies

Nevermore

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:01 am
As far as incarnations of Pink Floyd goes, I also agree with djjd62 - the 2nd incarnation is my fave. However, the first Floyd album I heard was THE WALL, which still just pips the others to the post for me. Any thought on THE FINAL CUT?
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:22 am
I think it had more to do with the chemistry between the four of them rather than just Roger. What I mean is that if any four of them were to leave, they wouldn't have been the same. I know people will disagree with me, but in my opinion, Floyd with Gilmore, Waters, Wright and Mason was much better than Floyd with Barrett, Waters, Wright and Mason. Another example is when Richard Wright left the band for Final Cut. Even though it's my favorite Floyd album, for most Floyd fans, it wasn't the same without him.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:20 am
I wasn't even aware of djjd's phase 1 until long after I was captured by phase 2...growing up with Dark Side of the Moon, Wish you Were Here...Animals....and much later, The Wall.

Still, Post Phase 3, The Division Bell is a fine collection...I'm glad I have it. I'd replace it were anything to happen to my current copy.

Both Roger Waters' Radio Kaos and The Pros and The Cons of Hitch Hiking are worthy additions, too, though I'd have to admit I greatly favoured Radio Kaos over the years, if I had to pick.

At the risk of sounding cliche...it's all good.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:43 am
Saucerful of secrets and Meddle are my favourites. They come between phase 1 and 2 I'd have thought - so phase 1.5 is my favourite.
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 04:27 pm
I really enjoy Pink Floyd through and through.

I got to pick up some of the earlier works from that monster discography done in the mid 90's

plus a copied bootleg i picked up at a Saudi Bookstore.

I don't know the song but i was listening to it one day and at the end is the cheer for the Liverpool Football Club..."you'll never walk alone" my wife heard it she's a scouser...and she asked what band it was.

She thought it was neat.
0 Replies

Nevermore

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:56 am
IAN442 - that song would be Fearless from the album MEDDLE.
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 08:29 pm
Nevermore thank you....

i know my tunes but not the names sometimes
0 Replies