"Fury" notes

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 01:36 pm
I started to write this as a Word document, then figured I'd go ahead and open a thread for others in the book club to add to as well, if they so desire.

IMPORTANT NOTE: IF YOU HAVE NOT YET FINISHED THE BOOK, YOU MAY NOT WANT TO READ THIS, AS IT WILL GIVE THINGS AWAY
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,712 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 01:41 pm
Neela
First, as soon as Neela appeared, little bells went off. I looked around, and found out that Rushdie (age 55, recently relocated to New York City from London, father of a small child, in the process of getting a divorce from Englishwoman Elizabeth) has been dating one Padma Lakshmi. Check her out:

http://www.foodtv.com/images/forums/padma_lakshmi_image.gif

And more, but too big to post here:

http://www.naked4lunch.com/pix/lakshmiphoto00001.jpg

Especially, note the scar on her arm...

Then found this:

Quote:
Mr. Rushdie admitted that The Fury was an ``extended love letter'' to his latest companion, Ms. Padma Lakshmi who, he swears, is a traffic-stopper. ``I have seen Ms. Padma cause a traffic accident which was very funny to watch'', he said and while he is clearly smitten by her there is a downside of living with someone so much younger, and pretty. The press, he says, has become ``very odd'' since he got this ``very good looking woman standing next to me.''

Whole article:

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/2001/08/29/stories/03290006.htm
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 09:45 am
Quote:
Mr. V.S. Naipaul has reacted to Mr. Rushdie's new novel saying: ``It might one day come to me. I will not pursue it.'' from hinduonnet.

Harsh, v. harsh.

What do you think of the comparison between RUshdie's beautiful girlfriend and the young woman, Perry Pincus, who was with Dub-Dub? Rushdie is definitely interested in young, accomplished, gorgeous females and yikes, they could be interested in him.

In light of 9/11, this novel's references to the hatreds within and against NYC are amazing. I wish I'd been noting them -- the young cab-driver's angry road rage in Urdu, is one example.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 10:39 am
I've got 'em all dog-eared, Piffka!

If you'd like, I can put some of 'em down here -- that was why I started this, but wasn't sure of interest.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 10:48 am
Oh, please do, even page numbers (though I'm reading a hard back, are you?). There were some amazing zingers he wrote which I meant to remember and then I couldn't find them. I'd be dog-earing, too, but I'm reading a library book and friends with the staff. Very Happy .... I TRY to be good!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 10:52 am
Yup, I've got the hardback.

OK, it'll take a while, but will be nice for the discussion later, too, to be able to cut and paste rather than write it all out at that moment.

Will do it gradually when I have time. (My poor book is totally dog-eared, but it's mine and not a first edition [a gift -- I always try to get first editions] so I figured ta heck with it. Wink)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 10:58 am
Cool. The library's, as it happens, is a first edition. What a waste.

I'll start using post-its, so I can catch some of these too.
0 Replies