Eastern influenced music

stuh505

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 05:28 pm
Hey guys, I love music with Eastern influence that feature eastern vocals, the kemain, etc...especially if it has trancelike qualities.

stuff in this category I like so far...

Emel Sayin
Vas
Shiva in Exile
Delerium (tera firma)
Solace
Conjure One

anyone with similar interest have more suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,089 • Replies: 13
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 07:06 pm
Don't forget some of George Harrison's stuff from the 60's and 70's.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:16 am
Juno Reactor - Bible of Dreams (straight up trance with Eastern influence; great songwriting)
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Mustt Mustt (Pakistanian Qwaali vocalist who sang over modern trance beats; one of the most amazing vocalists you'll ever hear; on Peter Gabriel's Real World label)
Dead Can Dance - Anything they've recorded
Loop Guru - Duniya (dance/trance with some Eastern influences)
Banco de Gaia - Big Men Cry (trance with thick eastern influence)
Ozric Tentacles - Jurassic Shift or Strangeitude (Space/trance/prog rock group with heavy eastern inluence)
Natacha Atlas - Ayeshteni or Gedida (incredible vocalist with eastern style vocals singing over electronic beats; used to sing for Transglobal Union)
Nitin Sawhney - Beyond Skin (another female vocalist with some Eastern influence, but much jazzier; trip hop)
Sun of Arqa - Cosmic Jugalbandi or Craddle (Hugely influenced by Eastern music, great stuff!)
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:29 am
nameless one,

thanks...i have a juno reactor song called "pistolero" which is supposed to be western i think but it sounds eastern to me

i also have some dead can dance...although none of mine are eastern...the others are new to me so ill check them out. do you know about faith and the muse? they are kinda like dead can dance only, imo, way better.

i also like sigur ros also Razz
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:27 pm
Sigur Ros fan!! Very Happy Very cool.

I haven't heard faith and the muse. I'll have to check em out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, now that you mention it, "Dead Can Dance" is more tribal than Eastern, eh? Still good stuff though.

Make sure to check out Nusrat's stuff. It'll be right up your alley. If you like his stuff you'll find all kinds of great qwaali singers that are almost as good as him.

Ozric Tentacles are all instrumental. When they do have voices they're Eastern. What's interesting about them is that their instrumentation always seems to revolve around Eastern style scales and progressions.

Pistolero is a good tune. The stuff off of Bible of Dreams is Eastern influenced, but it's not a very strong influence. It's definately there though.

The rest are very eastern influenced.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:34 pm
This is probably quite a bit different from what you're used to, but I really appreciate the music of Kiran Ahluwalia. She is a magnificent interpreter of the ghazal.

From Kiran's website:
Quote:

The Indian sub-continent, now India and Pakistan, has given many things to the world's culture: Hinduism, Buddhism, the Taj Mahal, and tea, to name but a few. The region has also given the world some of the most accomplished celebrations of human love. One of these is the Kama Sutra, an epic description of physical love, named after the Hindu god of love- Kama. Another is the poetic song form known as the ghazal. Ghazals are like polished diamonds - a single stone with many facets. Each ghazal is a single poem containing within itself a myriad of passionate smaller poems.
Ghazals came to the Indian sub-continent from Persia in the 14th century. Unlike the physical love depicted in Indian erotic art, ghazals operate on the plane of poetic imagery and metaphor. They explore the many moods of love, from the ecstatic to the despondent. Ghazals also use human love as a mask to address many other aspects of the human condition. For over six hundred years the finest poets of what is now India and Pakistan turned their talents to writing them and the finest singers and musicians used all their skill and training to interpret them.

You can listen to some samples here ... http://www.kiranmusic.com/Listen.htm
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:43 pm
i don't know alot about eastern music, but a few years ago ipicked up a magazine called passion, because it had a free cd attached (my weakness, cd giveaways with magazines), the first cut was called "the found morracan tape", the compiler of the cd expained it was a cut from a cassette tape he found on a bus while travelling in morraco (sp), it appeared to be recorded in somebody's home on pretty basic recording equipment but it was an interesting pice of music to say the least
0 Replies

mithie

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:12 am
Sarah Brightman: Harem (the entire album)
60% middle eastern influence
10% Chinese
5% Japanese
25% Indian
----------------

Best. Singer. Ever.

And no, the above isn't biased, I just think she's the goddess of music, that's all Smile
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:27 pm
mithie, 20 songs on that cd?
0 Replies

mithie

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 01:27 pm
14, I believe.

Don't believe statistics, they lie Smile

It's a lovely CD though, among my very favorites. Try it, people who love it, absolutely love it. People who don't love it, don't hate it. So it's a win-break even deal! You can't lose! Smile
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:34 pm
nameless one, i liked the vocals of nusrat and natacha.

ehbeth, nope i listen to a lot of things Razz i thought she had a pretty voice.

mithie, sarah brightman was very good. harem was my favofrite song that i heard on that album. i wish there was more eastern stuff on there, though!

out of everything mentioned by other people so far, i was most impressed by the brightman cd.

i was only listening to amazon clips, so ill need to find some real mp3s to get the real feeling later.

i must confess however that i didnt think anyuthing came close to conjure one/delerium/shiva in exile.

by the way you can listen to shiva stuff online in its entirety...they are all very awesome but nightheat is my favorite.

http://magnatune.com/artists/music/World/Shiva%20in%20Exile/Ethnic/
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:23 pm
Muslimgauze perhaps?

Darkish indie electronica absorbed in Oriental sounds, from what I remember ...

Lotsa Indian influence in the British electronica of past years ... "Asian underground" and all that (_-=-_ already mentioned Nitin Sawhney and Suns of Arqa). Dont know if thats what you're looking for though.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 08:10 pm
thanks for your suggs guys..

i've found some dead can dance, lisa gerrard, and sarah brightman songs i really like...

what ive found that i like most of all out of this is cocteau twins which did a feat with dead can dance on "alice"...i previously only had one song featuring them, an aphex twin song that wasnt very good and caused me to dismiss them...but their soprano duets are really, really great.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:17 am
stuh505...No problem!! Glad to help.

If you like the Cocteau Twins check out some Massive Attack. Especially their recording entitled "Mezzanine". The vocalist from Cocteau Twins, Elizabeth Frasier, sings on a few songs off the recording. Their other recordings are also nice, but don't feature Elizabeth. They feature other vocalists like Sinead O'Connor, Tracy Thorn of Everything but the Girl, Tricky, Horace Andy, etc. They aren't so much influenced by Eastern music styles, but they do have a real nice deep, dark, and unique sound that I bet you'd like.
0 Replies