Are most people really better than me?

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 03:07 pm
Okay, so my parents sent me to Kindergarten a year late. My birthday's on the 3rd of October, and I should have gone in 1999, when I was almost 5, but instead I went in 2000, when I was almost 6. By the time I realized what they had done, it was too late of course. I was doomed to 13 years of being a year behind. As high school was coming to an end, I was getting excited. I was going to go to a 4-year-college to get a Bachelor's Degree. My parents always brag about how smart they are, and say it's because they went to college. I thought that if I went to university and got a Bachelor's Degree, I would finally accomplish something that most people didn't. In 2012, most kids my age had their high school diploma, while I still had another year to go. But I was thinking "In 5 years, I'll have a Bachelor's Degree and they won't".

I'm now in my sophomore year of college, and I've been checking on all my friends from high school. The vast majority of them are doing exactly what I'm doing. Not only are they getting a Bachelor's Degrees, they're getting it 4 years after they graduated high schooll. The people who got their high school diplomas a year before me are also getting their Bachelor's Degrees a year before me. No one seems on the verge of having to drop out or take an extra year. I ask my current college friends if it's a different story with their former high school friends and it's not. What's going on? Statistics say most people don't have a Bachelor's Degree.

View best answer, chosen by juicecracker
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 03:11 pm
@juicecracker,
One day you will realise that it doesn't matter what other people do, it doesn't matter if your Parents think they are smarter than you. What matters is what YOU think and do with your life, because you are the one that matters.
0 Replies

jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 03:23 pm
@juicecracker,
If your graduation year bothers you that much, take extra classes and go to school in the summer and you'll graduate at the magical age of 20 or 21 or whichever you feel is the magical age.

And when you become a year older you'll realize that no one is paying attention to the magical year you graduated college.

Getting a BA or BS is a great thing to do, regardless of age. Period. Don't qualify it with a magical year that will somehow make things right and true and wonderful for you.

I suggest counseling to you. You're carrying a chip on your shoulder about having been left back a year and that happened a good decade and a half ago. That is an awfully long time to be pissed about that.
juicecracker

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 07:47 pm
@jespah,
"If your graduation year bothers you that much, take extra classes and go to school in the summer and you'll graduate at the magical age of 20 or 21 or whichever you feel is the magical age."

I'm finishing up my sophomore year, so it's too late for that.

"Getting a BA or BS is a great thing to do, regardless of age."

That's what I thought to. I used to think 'It doesn't matter that I'll be the oldest of the students getting their Bachelor's Degrees in 2017, but at least I'll have accomplished something that most people haven't'. I'm finding out thought that most people are getting Bachelor's Degrees.

"You're carrying a chip on your shoulder about having been left back a year and that happened a good decade and a half ago. That is an awfully long time to be pissed about that."

I wouldn't be pissed off about it if it weren't affecting the present, but it seems like, just how most of my peers got their high school diplomas a year before me, they will also get their Bachelor's Degrees a year before me.

Ragman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 06:57 am
@juicecracker,
While you pondering this monumental problem, realize that some of them will drive Mercedes and BMW cars and have infinitely more orgasms than you have, too.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 08:02 am
@juicecracker,
Bullshit. It's not too late; you're a sophomore.

Hence you need, what, 16 more classes after this semester ends? This is assuming 4/semester.

Take 2 this summer
6 in the fall (so an extra 2)
Take 6 in the spring
Take 2 next summer

Boom! You're done by August of 2016 instead of May of 2017.

Oldest person getting their BA? Hardly. I'm sure you have classmates who take semesters off for all sorts of reasons, including traveling abroad, having kids, or taking care of ill relatives or working. Grow some perspective.

I am getting my MA next year. I will be 53.

You need to get some counseling and learn not to give a **** about when other people are graduating.
Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 08:09 am
@jespah,
I agree - oldest in your graduating -- highly unlikely. I remember a mom with children being in my class - she must have been about ....gasp....30 and she was going to graduate after being 30- the horror.

Many adults (meaning over 25) attend college at night and may be in your graduation class without you even knowing.

One year is no big deal -- the big deal is actually working hard, learning and obtaining your degree...no matter your age.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 08:37 am
@jespah,
I haven't looked up the statistics but I remember that across the U.S. a large percentage take more than 4 years. This whole obsession about your being behind your peers is out of whack.

I took five years myself, at a good university. I kept changing majors and also worked almost full time so I didn't have time - nor did I have any interest - in squeezing my learning into shorter time. I've no regret at all for the changing of majors more than once. That gave a nice round perspective on various studies.

I agree with Jespah that you could benefit from counselling, because your lack of self esteem over being held back in kindergarten is quite long held and is rather destructive for you.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 08:42 am
@juicecracker,
I earned my Bachelor's Degree when I was 29. My age didn't make any difference, and my life has been pretty good.
0 Replies

juicecracker

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 10:33 am
Like I've already said, it's not just my age that's bothering. It's that fact that I'm not accomplishing something that most people aren't
jespah

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 11:23 am
@juicecracker,
Then get a PhD and you can be in a rarefied group.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Are most people really better than me?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.41 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 10:01:54