Refund Check?

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:18 am
I just received a refund check from a credit card company with whom I have NO credit card. Do I need to cite the name of the company? I have no intention of cashing this check, because it seems dubious at best.

Do you think this is a ploy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,517 • Replies: 10
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:33 am
If it's a scam, it's a new one on me. Could it be an old card of yours, operating under a changed name? Nah, you wouldn't have overpaid them in the first place.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:43 am
Rog, it could have been a VERY old card that was sent years ago. I cut up all cards and only have one now, that I pay up every month. I have NEVER received any statement. Is it possible that this company has something to do with my independent agent here? The one with which I have insurance-- homeowners, car insurance, etc.

Very odd.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:01 am
Call them up and tell them you didn't get the full amount and demand more!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:16 am
Very Happy Laughing The problem is that I don't have a telephone number for that bunch, and I don't feel like writing a long, laborious, business like letter.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:19 am
Then I would suggest cashing it. What the hell. BTW, how much is it for? I'll split it with ya!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:23 am
22 cents, Nick. Eleven for you and eleven for men. Make cents? Razz
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:31 am
The stamp to mail me the 11 cents would far exceed the value of the windfall. I would throw the check out in that case. If it was a significant amount my greedy nature would have taken hold and cashed it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:37 am
Seriously, Nick. It wasn't a large amount, but what I'm really concerned with, is the fact that someone may have gotten their hands on that old card. Big long sigh.............................................................................

I'll have to clear it up somehow. Guess I'll have to write after all. Confused
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:54 pm
Is there any fine print? I sometimes get "checks" from credit card companies/banks/etc., but if you cash them you are automatically enrolled in some service or other that typically involves a monthly fee. Maybe what you received is just such a solicitation; i.e., cashing the check = signing up for some account with the credit card company in question.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:13 pm
lab, I think you have hit on it. I called my insurance company and explained the situation, thinking that one of my carriers might be this credit card company. She told me basically the same thing that you have said. I do believe they are trying to reinstate me with this bunch and I think it is illegal, because there is NO fine print. I'll simply write a letter informing them of such, and forward a copy to either the attorney general of Florida, or the Better Business Bureau, or both. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I guess because I'm retired, they think I'm incapable of tracing down horse s**t like this.
0 Replies