Do you believe in afterlife?

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 10:43 am
One of my friends wrote an essay on The concept of spirituality and afterlife. I have atheist views but it was a bit surprising when I read that according to him, God and afterlife don't always have to be connected. That a person can believe in an afterlife still not accepting that a higher power may be behind it. Do you agree?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,575 • Replies: 25

argome321

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 10:49 am
@Krrypton,
I let you know when I am resurrected.
Actually, I'm too busy in this life to worry about an after life.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 11:25 am
@Krrypton,
I suppose, Krr, it depends on your def of "afterlife"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 05:33 pm
@Krrypton,
your genes are your connection to any afterlife
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 06:26 pm
If you watch the Stargate series, they run a great storyline in which one of the characters "ascends" to a higher plane, no god required.

Makes for a great watch.
argome321

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 07:33 pm
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
If you watch the Stargate series, they run a great storyline in which one of the characters "ascends" to a higher plane, no god required.

What is meant by a "Higher Plane."?
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 08:55 pm
@argome321,
60000 feet
neologist

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 10:35 pm
@farmerman,
Is that stratosphere?
Or etheric matrix? Very Happy
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 02:41 am
@Krrypton,
I don't believe in no afterlife for my own damn self cause I ain't never gunna die.
Smileyrius

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 03:53 am
@argome321,
higher plane of existence, it is an esoteric cosmology thing. They're very into planes.
argome321

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 08:44 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
higher plane of existence, it is an esoteric cosmology thing. They're very into planes.

Sorry, please excuse my ignorance but I don't know what an esoteric cosmology thing

And what do you mean by that they are a varying plane? If so what are these varying planes. It's just that I am incapable of conceptualizing this Esoteric Cosmology thing.

Or are you saying that only a few can understand this Higher Plane?

Are you one of the privy?

Thank you.
neologist

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 08:45 am
@layman,
Eve thought so
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 08:47 am
@argome321,
Does your leg hurt?
argome321

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 08:51 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Does your leg hurt?

Does my leg hurt?
neologist

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 09:14 am
@argome321,
Someone's pulling it
argome321

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 09:21 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Someone's pulling it

My responds to this post is tongue in cheek... and being sarcastic
neologist

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 09:32 am
@argome321,
Oh.

OK
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 09:49 am
@Krrypton,
By "believe in an afterlife"...I suppose you mean "guess that a life follows this one."

You certainly are free to guess (believe) whatever you want...so there is no reason to think that a guess (belief) that a life follows this one has to be connected to a guess (belief) that a god (outside of yourself) exists.

It certainly is not unreasonable for me to suggest (to myself) that "all of this" is merely an illusion created by whatever "me/I" is...and when the thing I call "me" or "I" slips this mortal coil...it (I/me) will live on and create another illusion in which to live. Most likely even a god wouldn't want to be all alone.

And it is not unreasonable for me to guess (believe) that is what will happen. (Personally I feel more comfortable not making a guess in this area at all.)

So, YES, it is possible to guess (or in your words, believe in) an afterlife...without guessing (or in your words, believe in) a god outside of self.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 10:36 am
@layman,
So just to clarify

Quote:
I don't believe in no afterlife

so you believe in the afterlife

Quote:
cause I ain't never gunna die.

cause you're gonna die

Smiley,
all up in the thread bein' pretentious Wink
korkamann

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 10:42 am
@Krrypton,
Krrypton wrote:

One of my friends wrote an essay on The concept of spirituality and afterlife. I have atheist views but it was a bit surprising when I read that according to him, God and afterlife don't always have to be connected. That a person can believe in an afterlife still not accepting that a higher power may be behind it. Do you agree?

I do not believe in the hereafter or afterlife. Man being finite, once dead, in my humble opinion, that's it. I do believe the energy that animates us returns to the unified whole once leaving our bodies. I don't know anyone who has died and is now experiencing the great beyond experience. How can one prove it? It's not enough for people to say they died, came back to life after being revived saying they saw a white light, their deceased family members among others, one must have provable or verifiable evidence. People's personal experience will not do it because strong drugs/medication sometimes cause one to have visions.

As far as a living god is concerned, scientists cannot prove there is a god nor disprove the existence of a god. Commonsense alerts us to another force that controls gravity and the universe, but that man is in the image of this so-called force seems a far stretch from reality.
0 Replies