When is the last time you watched the sunset?

Jim

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:14 am
Thanks for the reminder.

The last time I can remember was four or five years ago. Before we bought the house in Arizona, we used to take our vacations in Reno, Nevada. Near the end of the 2000 vacation, just before having to come back here, my wife and I were walking back from the strip mall with dinner, and stopped to look at the sunset over the Sierra Nevadas. It was just beautiful.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:37 am
I'm not much for watching the sunrise. I do love sunsets though. My favorite is watching the sunset behind mountains. Those huge mountains and the huge sun ball make me think about the wonder and vastness of God's creations...and that I, like the sun and mountains are a part of His creation too.

0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:31 am
cavfancier wrote:
I generally see both every day, but then again, I'm a bit of an insomniac. Hard to feel the earth move ten floors up, but every time they do construction, I remember that vibration.

feeling the 'earth move' Razz , is always a good thing, no matter where, no matter why!
[ok California - a possible exception Shocked ]
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:33 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Good grief! And all I see is a big orange ball turning dark.

hey, i thought you couldn't see 'anything' from your 'cell'!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:39 am
Letty wrote:
.......The most breath taking sight in the world is the full moon rising over the ocean. Strangely enough, for me, I like to be alone and look at it, because talking about the wonder of it detracts from it simplistic halo of thought.

i hasten to point out, in this case Letty, of course you are right; the moon is actually 'rising'!

But isn't the 'essence' of 'contact', being together in the presence of an astounding experience, soundlessly?
A subtle touch being the only 'message'.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 10:34 am
I love sunsets and rarely see them. I also love "last light" when the blanket of night descends on the land.

I don't hang out with a lot of pals up here in my new home town, my pals being back down in LA or San Francisco and scattered elsewhere. I quit driving at night back in the eighties when it was confirmed I have a slow case of retinitis pigmentosa, luckily very slow case, and part of that is one is "nightblind", one has messed up rods. So, man, I gotta get the car home before dark, and to do that I leave work, etc., in plenty of time, the time varying with the seasons. It's easy enough to get some errands done and home in time during June and July, and a real push in December.

This has affected my life in practical ways; e.g., the jobs I could apply for. It affects my sense of self power at nighttime, as I go from ballsy broad to careful lady in the space of a few hours. And, oddly, it has made sunsets more precious. I don't have a good sunset view from my house, so that means they are more of a vacation event, and, if I happen to be in a car with a friend at sunset, watching that sunset is like a gifted dream vacation to paradise.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 12:33 pm
I agree about sunsets on water (ocean or lake.) I took this picture less than a block from my house in Madison, a little park where I'd regularly go to watch the sunset.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VQAdA34bfsiPAnk*eQIuZJKKC1OjT6xH0FywLoe*pnwBmhPUxE*TgNR6xDh83X66f0ajjozInqBHvwjIzJ4MPBRYmxoCMLuEzRp9*0YHiw5jioJoED5Pnjoceg965qD!/Mendota.jpg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 04:20 pm
Very nice, Soz.

There was a time I lived in Madison, but that story will have to wait for another day.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 04:27 pm
How about tomorrow?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 04:32 pm
The last beautiful sunset, I saw was in Denmark. Pure heaven.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 06:59 pm
My sunset deprivation isn't too striking locally, as we are prone to fogginess in our precise microclimate. In fact our local airport's history is, I hear, as a test airport for a fog belt. Hummmpf.

My lifetime sunset memories are from driving across country with my parents when I was a child... various sunsets on the way west. Plus some Mexico memories of some time ago. I lived in an urban area and foggy belt in LA too - there were sunsets, but, ya know, not SUNSETS, as in kaboom! colors!

Really, more than sunsets, I am pulled to notice the glows of damping light as navy blue skies unreel themselves.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:14 pm
Osso, I agree with that "last light" thing too. The sunset itself is beautiful, but once the sun sets, the sky really becomes a canvas of color. Awesome.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:15 pm
agreed. I can't even name the colors that happen. That greenish blue color of twighlight is one of my favorites.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:34 pm
Back on the art threads (I think) we talked about a phrase for last light - it was French, I believe, and as I am a French dummy, I don't remember it, but even the words were beautiful.
0 Replies

Tryst

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:47 am
Should that be; When wasÂ…?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 07:20:51