When is the last time you watched the sunset?

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:53 pm
I was walking home tonight from work and I looked up and the sun was just about going down. It was hot and steamy, and the sun looked huge. I looked down 53rd street, and it was right there in the center of the street. It looked almost like you could just walk down the street and touch it. It was like a big pink red yellow gold ball sinking slowly, oozing it's way down into the clouds.

I love sunsets. Even in the middle of all this traffic and noise and chaos that is NYC, it's peaceful somehow.

When is the last time you watched one? I recommend it highly. In fact, if you haven't watched the sunset in a while, go out and treat yourself, as soon as possible. It's on me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,835 • Replies: 34
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:54 pm
I see sunsets a lot - on the cape, over the bay. Lovely. But, the thing I find really REALLY special is watching a sunrise, now that doesn't happen very often.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:55 pm
I have never seen a sunrise or a sunset.

Mine is a world of darkness.

Such is my fate.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 08:33 pm
with my work schedule i see the sun rise on my walk to work and set on the walk home, at anytime of the year
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 08:33 pm
My 78-year-old uncle has lived in Manhattan for 40 years. Naturally, most of his friends are in NYC, Baltimore, and D.C.

He came here to Tennessee to visit for a few days and he looked up into the night sky and expressed how beautiful the stars were...he had not seen them in years, he said.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 08:49 pm
That is almost exactly what I was thinking tonight while I was walking. For some reason, you almost never see the sky in Manhattan. Even if you do look up, it's usually some building that you're focused on.

I used to live in upstate New York, and there was a place called the Cobbs Hill Reservoir. I used to live pretty close to it. I would walk over there and watch the sunset, and it wasn't a huge hill, but it was big enough that you could see the sunset clearly, and there were these deadhead-types who used to hang there watching it. It was a pretty cool spot.

And I remember the sunset on the beach near Tampa. That was reeeeeally beautiful. The ocean is the best backdrop, in my opinion.

Sunrises are also pretty amazing. I used to like them best after staying up all night. That also is a great indicator of a really great party, by the way. If you're still up at sunrise, chances are, you had a damn good time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 08:59 pm
I watch 'em all the time - love 'em.

Sunrises - hmmmm - almost never see 'em unless I was up all night.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:11 pm
I enjoy watching the sunset. In the summer months it is always so relaxing, until the mosquitoes start biting!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:25 pm
Re: When is the last time you watched the sunset?
kickycan wrote:
...............When is the last time you watched one? I recommend it highly. In fact, if you haven't watched the sunset in a while, go out and treat yourself, as soon as possible. It's on me.

Thanks Kicky; great idea.

But without wishing in any way to detract from a borderline 'artistic' experience, i wish also to point out that there is no such thing as a sunset; it is, of course an "earthrise" that you are experiencing!
The earth, rotating toward you, is 'rising' with respect to the sun, cutting off the sun's ray's until eventually they cease to be visible.

Now while gorging your eyes, and perhaps heart, on that vision before you in the west, see if you can feel the earth under you like the most gentle of horses carrying you backward, away from the sun, for another day.

Become a part of your universe.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:56 pm
Sunset is my favorite time of day.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 03:08 am
Bogowo, thanks right back atcha. I will definitely do that.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 03:11 am
I generally see both every day, but then again, I'm a bit of an insomniac. Hard to feel the earth move ten floors up, but every time they do construction, I remember that vibration.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 04:50 am
There is something primal about seeing the sun set. On Florida's Gulf Coast, it seems a kind of religion. The day buzzes by on the beach, kites in the air, children wild with joy with the smell of the water and the air, girls in bikinis watching boys in huge swimsuits jog by, the rest of crowd splayed out over the sand on blankets or chaises or chairs. The umbrellas, a myriad display of colors and stripes, kaleidoscopically keep the time with their shadows. Slowly those black black ellipsoids crawl away toward the cottages till we, surprised, look up from our books to find it is sundown.

Everything stops. No one tells the children, they just stop. Some adults rise and stare out to sea. Providence cues the pelicans and they make a curving, bobbing sortie across the vision of the sun as it slides inch by inch into the ocean. Of course, by this time we are drenched in the colors of the sky, vast deep reds and oranges, visceral pinks and yellows and golds, a great slash of the deepest blue over our heads and across the wide expanse of water the mirrored image of it all.

The universe takes a breath and hopes for a tomorrow. I think about what it must have been like ten thousand years ago on this beach as night fell. What did they pray for? A tomorrow to come, a thanks for the past day, a wish to make it through the darkness of the night?

Nothing has changed, the water, the sand, the air, the sky, the sun, the people, the prayers.

Joe
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 04:57 am
Good grief! And all I see is a big orange ball turning dark.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 04:59 am
That's not the sunset, gus, you might want to have your doctor look at that.

J
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 05:01 am
Wow, thanks Joe. That was beautiful. By the way, I loved how you slipped "kaleidoscopically" in there. :wink:

When I lived in Florida I experienced a few of those amazing gulf coast sunsets myself. The sand is almost white. Maybe I should think about moving back there.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 05:02 am
You are a font of knowledge, my friend.

I am off. Off to the doctor and lugging this cumbersome orange ball behind me.

Thanks, Joe
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 05:11 am
A font!! You called me a font!! Why you low down.... no, wait, even though it appears you violated the ToS by calling me a font, I shall be the bigger person and kaleidoscopically ignore you.

Joe
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:06 am
Joe Nation wrote:
A font!! You called me a font!! Why you low down.... no, wait, even though it appears you violated the ToS by calling me a font, I shall be the bigger person and kaleidoscopically ignore you.

Joe

After all, "font" is a 4-letter word.
ROR
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:07 am
Sunrise-sunset (apologies to Fiddler on the Roof)

The most breath taking sight in the world is the full moon rising over the ocean. Strangely enough, for me, I like to be alone and look at it, because talking about the wonder of it detracts from it simplistic halo of thought.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » When is the last time you watched the sunset?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 07:43:17