msolga

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:16 pm
@msolga,
Another question, if I may:
About controlling various bugs on tomato plants.
What do you use?
I really hate using poisons at any time, but particularly if the fruit of the plant is to be eaten. And keeping tomatoes bug free is a tough situation.
Any reliable organic bug controllers/killers you can recommend?
littlek

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:30 pm
I've heard of using chili pepper-water spray. What kinds of bugs?

fertilizer - horse manure is what I use for plants. I also buy an old-bark compost mixed with sea shells. I dunno - it seems people have been using farm animal manure for ever. If it's been a good thing this long.....
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:35 pm
@msolga,
How about hiring a battalion of ladybugs and arm them with swords and laser rifles?

Or just get a bunch of ladybugs ....
http://www.instructables.com/id/Ladybugs-Instead-of-Pesticides/
msolga

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:35 pm
@littlek,
Oh, the usual tomato bugs, k.
Moth worms, grubs.
You end up with holes (& worms) in the fruit & leaves that look like lacework, if the plants are left unattended.
There's this poisonous powder (tomato dust) which is supposed to control this, & does. It's supposed to be harmless after a particular period of time ... but, you know!
msolga

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
How about hiring a battalion of ladybugs and arm them with swords and laser rifles?

What I like about you, tsar, is that you are always the practical helper outer, the helpful solution finder for these tricky gardening situations ... Wink

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:41 pm
@msolga,
Practicality is my middle name. I just spell it differently: Craig.
msolga

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:45 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
fertilizer - horse manure is what I use for plants. I also buy an old-bark compost mixed with sea shells. I dunno - it seems people have been using farm animal manure for ever. If it's been a good thing this long.....

I swear by horse manure, k! Smile
Fabulous stuff!
I've never come across a compost mixed with shells. Interesting. I guess it's what's available locally?
For both my manure & compost needs I buy in loose, in bulk. There's this place, about a 5 minute walk away, which has rows & rows of different varieties lined up. I just chose which one/s I want & they deliver! (Then the hard bit begins! )

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ha! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:49 pm
lady bugs are really good for small insects. There's a wasp whichg lays parasitic eggs on certain tomotao caterpillars (gruesome, but cool).
msolga

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:56 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
There's a wasp whichg lays parasitic eggs on certain tomotao caterpillars (gruesome, but cool).

Are you serious, k?
msolga

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 08:56 pm
@msolga,
.... I mean, introduce a wasp to deal with the problem?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 09:13 pm
I wouldn't if they weren't native to your area. Anyway, they tend to find the caterpillars on their own.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 09:37 pm
@msolga,
For compost I use horse manure.

I never have a big problem with pests or insects with my tomato plants. I think putting some marigolds in the pots with the tomatoes does help.
alex240101

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 09:33 am
@farmerman,
Well, you one upped me farmerman: "sea salt shaker'. Radishes usually have difficult time making it inside the house as well.
,...if I was shaker equipped,.....
More divine garden food talk. Eggplant, that has been battered and fried. Especially the skin. The parmesan final dish is usually smaller, then what was originally planned, due to out of frying pan pickings.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 09:52 am
@firefly,
Quote:
I think putting some marigolds in the pots with the tomatoes does help.
original marigolds are indeed a repellent, they stink. Hybrid marigolds, the large blooming ones so popular in all garden centers are NOT a repellent.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 10:41 am
Yes, when I was a kid the marigolds gave me a huge headache. they don't seem to be as potent nowadays.

I'm going to experiment with steel wool or brillo pads this year to deter pests. or even alumimum foil collars around plants.
alex240101

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 10:21 am
@sullyfish6,
I usually plant marigolds all through out garden, one here, and one there,.....to attract bees. Sometimes, the bees build their hive in the ground, in the garden.

I usually support my local greenhouses, and purchase my plants from them. Past few years, they stopped growing their own plants, and ordered from a large company, that the big home improvements use as well. Not a good quality of a plant. So, this year, I planted all my seeds, close to two hundred plants so far, in containers. Built a make shift temporary greenhouse. Pondering a winter project of a more permanent one. The joys of gardening.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 11:04 am
Tree grafting.
I found this tree last week. It is neat. Disregard date on picture.
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/alex240101/100_1215.jpg
spendius

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 11:15 am
@alex240101,
I reckon that whoever mowed the lawn had had at least four pints.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:22 am
How many medium sized tomatoes for one quart of salsa or sauce.
Doubled plant quantity.
Any input in regards to weed blocker Preen?
I laid the weed guard mesh this year. Not only did the weeds grow down through barrier,...they grew up through.
Joy.
Preen prevents weeds. Even though Preen has had good reviews, I ponder, anything that prevents something green from growing, possibly may not be wise to use near consumable vegetation.
0 Replies