suggestions please

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 04:43 am
any suggestions of good books are welcome! classics preferably.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,232 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Anoxia

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 04:45 am
"My Life as an Explorer" by Sven Hedin
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:51 am
I don't know much about classics but

"The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown is great and I heard that

"The Devil Wears Prada" by Lauren Weisberger Twisted Evil is good - but I haven't read it yet. But it was recommended by my reading partner.

Then there's "The City and The Dogs" by Mario Vargas Llosa - you have to look for the English version,

"Camille" - if you haven't read it yet - by Alexandre Dumas. Razz

Let me think .... uhmmmm!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 08:14 am
I jusr finished reading Gal ...... now I have to find the book to tell you the author. I will post that later.
It is a strange read .. the grammer is that of a 10yr old black girl in the early 40's with what seems to be no education.
The story is not a common one and may be offencive to some. But worth the read if you like life stories. It took me about 2 chapters before I could stop re-reading and re-reading to understand the grammer though. STILL a good read.
;-)
0 Replies

PenStricken

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:06 am
'Autobigraphy' by G.K. Chesterton made me sleepless at nights: a real boon for pun-addicts.
0 Replies

maya

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 04:55 am
How about some Truman Capote? "Breakfast at Tiffanys" or "Music for Cameleons" And don't forget "In Cold Blood"
0 Replies

BigWizz

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 12:24 am
The Public Burning - Robert Coover has been the best book I've read so far this year by far, a little on the tougher side :wink: but still it's an amazing read.
0 Replies

cmgannon26

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 10:03 pm
Definetly "A Study in Scarlet" by Conan Doyle. Definete classic and a good short read. Enjoyable every step of the way. I know this isn't a classic but "Demons and Angels" by Dan Brown. Better than Da Vinci Code hands down and excellently written. Another great novel from the mind of Dan Brown.
0 Replies

jatza

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 07:17 pm
In a recent book search, I came across a link that contains a bunch of URLs.

Each link brings you to a different type of book search engine. I think that for most of them, you can find new book titles simply by entering in the name of a book or author that you like. You will then be given a list of similar or recommeded titles/authors.

It could be a great resource for finding new books to read:
http://www.waterborolibrary.org/bklistif.htm#ifgen
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 02:37 am
A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnely. Excellent!
Also, any novel by Tess Gerritsen. The Surgeon and The Apprentice are great! Read them in that order though.
0 Replies