Ingen ko på isen - There’s no cow on the ice ... but perhaps a new Great Copenhagen

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 08:42 am
I don't think that there is something rotten in the state of Denmark, and it isn't all Dutch for me either, but ...

Denmark wants to rebrand part of Sweden as 'Greater Copenhagen'

http://i61.tinypic.com/6qcrbs.jpg
Quote:
Country hopes incorporating Swedish outcrop Skåne will gain the region more business and visitors – but the idea is not universally loved

The above news was already reported on January 8 by the Swedish Radio (Skåne kan marknadsföras som Copenhagen
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,491 • Replies: 12
No top replies

saab

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 09:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
No cow on the ice simply means - no reason to hurry up.
Somehow it seems a good idea, but to call a part of a country the name of a capital in another country seems strange.
On the other hand people from that part of Sweden go/went to Copenhagen to have fun. Malmö has now developed into a charmy city, but it used to be different. Copenhagen used to be 1 1/2 hour away by ferry and now 35 minutes by train. So it is easy to work and live in two different coutries.
To go to Stockhom by car takes about 6-7 hours.

Houses were very expensive in and around Copenhagen so many moved to Sweden. This trend has changed as house prices are now about the same and Danes go back to Denmark.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 09:21 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
No cow on the ice simply means - no reason to hurry up.
Thanks. (My Swedish relatives use it in the meaning of "don’t worry".)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 09:27 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
Somehow it seems a good idea, but to call a part of a country the name of a capital in another country seems strange.
It isn't actually new to advertise a region across country borders. The idea with the name is, though.
We've got here e.g. EUREGIO since 1958. (List of other Euregios)

The Upper Rhine tri-national region comprising parts of France, Germany and Switzerland ... with 1817 municipalities.
saab

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 11:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I would say don´t worry or don´t hurry is about the same.

That area already is called Öresundsregionen which is a cross the border name
as Öresund is between Sweden and Denmark
just like
Tornedalen is a cross the border area in Sweden and Finland, It is a vally named after river Torne.
It is not the same as calling it Copenhagen. Copenhagen is the capital of Denmark and not an area in Sweden.
When I visit Copenhagen I certainly do not mean some part of Sweden.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 12:07 pm
@saab,
It started with the Treaty of Roskilde Wink
(We got, of course, Sønderjylland-Schleswig as well.)
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 12:33 pm
The March across the Belts was a campaign between 30 January and 8 February 1658 during the Second Northern War where King Charles X Gustav of Sweden led the Swedish army from Jutland across the ice of the Little Belt to Funen and the Great Belt to reach Zealand. The risky but vastly successful crossing was a crushing blow to Denmark, and led to the Treaty of Roskilde later that year, which handed Scania, Halland, Blekinge to Sweden.

https://havsblogg.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/liblt5.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 10:14 am
@saab,
Sorry, Denmark, we Swedes won’t give you back Skåne that easily
Quote:
[...]
In Skåne however, reception of the idea of Greater Copenhagen has been lukewarm. I spoke to a good friend who lives there and she says the people of Skåne don’t really care; they have wanted to be their own country for decades. The fact that Denmark wants to impose itself on the area in one way or another is hardly a new occurrence – Skåne was under Danish rule longer than it has been under Swedish.

Having scanned Swedish newspapers for news on this, I don’t think that too many people actually have very strong feelings on the matter. Including southern Sweden under the umbrella of Greater Copenhagen might be a good marketing strategy internationally and it might pull some focus from Stockholm, which can only be a good thing.

Just remember when you plan your Copenhagen trip that if you want to be down with the locals, you call it “Öresund” and that Skåne, the part on the other side of the bridge that the tourist information wants to call Greater Copenhagen, is Swedish, not Danish. You’re not having it back that easily, Denmark!
saab

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 02:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Call it Mankell region and most foreigners will know where it is.
saab

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 05:14 am
Dumme Schweden?!

At Malmö Technical Museum it says that Mrs Bendz invented the car.
Her full name is Melitta Bendz as that has to do with coffee.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 06:00 am
@saab,
Melitta Bentz invented the coffee filter, in 1908.
Bertha Benz was the first person to drive an automobile over a long distance, in 1888.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 07:17 am
http://www.realcars.se/story/gubbe/img/extra/1888_Carl_Benz_Car.jpg

News from the Science Museum, Malmö
10th of April 2013 a newly made model of the first car a patent made car by Carl Benz arrived at the museum
Also is mentioned to trip Walter mentioned
August 1888 with car number three - probably without Carl knew about it-
Bertha took their two teenagesons Eugen and Richard on the trip from Mannheim via Heidelberg and Wiesloch to Pforyheim
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 11:12 am
@saab,
including me!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ingen ko på isen - There’s no cow on the ice ... but perhaps a new Great Copenhagen
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 09:24:13