Beau Geste :: Percival Christopher Wren

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 02:19 pm
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I'm to young to be enamoured by the FOreign Legion but always have been. The poignant love of the brothers, american duo, and just about everyone in this book made this one of my favorite childhood reads.

"The love of a man for a woman waxes and wanes like the moon, the love of brothers is steadfast as the stars" (badly remembered Arab proverb).

Have you read this book? What did you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,706 • Replies: 7
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:15 pm
I read this ages ago, and I remember that I believe I enjoyed it but, unfortunately Craven, I dont remember it all that well.
Also..all I can think of now is that 70's movie...and Im just laughing hysterically so...it wont come to me.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 11:16 pm
I loved the movie as well. I reread the book 2 years ago and liked it even more.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:06 am
I would think that rereading it would be a good idea, Ive already got this long list but, itll put it in a mental note catagory
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:29 am
The movie with Gary Cooper, Ray Milland and Robert Preston as the three brothers is one of my all-time favorites. The remake was a disaster. I've never read Beau Geste, but intend to someday if I ever get away from Able2Know. Laughing There were three brothers in the novel, weren't there Craven? The remake only dealt with two brothers.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 11:50 am
Only two brothers?? What a rip off!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 01:11 pm
Raggedy..oh yes, that was a good film...whew..been trying to get the other out of my mind.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:39 pm
Quinn: I'm recalling the Viking funeral (a reenactment of the Viking funeral the brothers performed when they were children) when they placed Sgt. Markoff's body at Digby's feet to represent the "dog". I must see that movie again. Very Happy I wonder how true it was to the novel.
0 Replies