DJ on the PC? What software do you use?

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:35 am
I recently put together a number of mix CDs for a party, using rather inappropriate technology...

Windows Media Player (importing and burning)
Sound Forge (mixed/edited tracks in .wav form)

Can you recommend a better platform for:

a) editing .wav files
b) using loops
c) beat matching
d) burning to CD without 2 second gaps between tracks!

Any recommendations would be helpful...point (d) is very relevant - I ended up burning CDs with single tracks over an hour long, to avoid breaking up the mixes I'd made in SoundForge, which couldn't burn sucessfully on my machine (laptop running Windows XP).

KP (aka DK Xpedrition...for now!) Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,084 • Replies: 10
No top replies

halliwellp3

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 08:41 pm
The only thing I have ever used besides winamp is a system called PCDJRed. I don't know if that will help you out but you could give it a try.
It should still be free to download I haven't used it for a while You would have to go to kazaa I think to download it
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 03:46 am
Thanks, halliwellp3

Welcome to a2k.

KP
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 07:02 am
Mad I just got done writing a whole segment about great software for you and the page I was on defaulted to some sort of Premium Subscription noitce. Completely erased everything I was going to post for you. Mad Oh well, here I go again (but with less detail this time).

a) editing .wav files

Take a look at Cool Edit Pro and Adobe Audtion 1.5 (who recently bought out the developers of Cool Edit Pro). Great programs!!

b) using loops

Look at Propellerheads Software for using and creating loops. Reason is a great sequencing platform that includes several VST's (a drum machine, 3 synths, 2 samplers, a loop module, 2 sequencers, several FX's, etc.). Great for creating music. Recycle is a loop development software program that allows you to edit, creat and master loops. Also a great program.

Another excellent software program for creating loops is Fruity Loops. Very user friendly and tons of fun to use.

c) beat matching

I haven't used it, but I've heard nothing but great things about PCDJ for beat matching.

Not too sure about this one. I'll try and find out and let you know. If you find out before me let me know.

Also, if you plan on doing any sort of live, on the fly production you have to have Ableton Live. It's an INCREDIBLE software program.

BTW...Sound Forge is an excellent mixing and mastering software program. Keep using it.

Hope this helps!!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:26 am
Quote:

Not too sure about this one. I'll try and find out and let you know. If you find out before me let me know.

Any good CD writing program, including both Roxio Easy Media Creator & Nero Burning ROM, have options that'll allow you to do this. (The previous version of Roxio's software, titled Easy CD & DVD Creator, can certainly do it as well.)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:46 am
how about creating MP3's? lost the keycode to my program and when I upgraded to XPpro - it wouldn't work anylonger with out the keycode.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 09:53 am
husker wrote:
how about creating MP3's? lost the keycode to my program and when I upgraded to XPpro - it wouldn't work anylonger with out the keycode.

From what format?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 09:54 am
husker wrote:

3 good freeware choices are CDex, dBpowerAmp and AudioGrabber.
Here's CNET Download.com's selection of audio/video rippers & encoders sorted by number of downloads: http://www.download.com/sort/3150-2140-0-1-4.html?
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 09:58 am
Monger wrote:
Quote:

Any good CD writing program, including both Roxio Easy Media Creator & Nero Burning ROM, have options that'll allow you to do this. (The previous version of Roxio's software, titled Easy CD & DVD Creator, can certainly do it as well.)

No kidding? I didn't know that. Here I've been using Roxio CD Creator for three years now. Unbelieveable. Thanks Monger!!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:09 am
No prob. Smile I'm using Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 ...in it, if you add at least 2 tracks to a Music CD project in Creator Classic, then click Track->Transition Effects, not only can you adjust or remove the silence gap between tracks, you can also crossfade them. It can be done at least as far back as version 4 (when it was still an Adaptec product), I believe, and like I said earlier Nero can definitely do it too.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:49 am
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll check out the links you've given.

Nero didn't seem to work on my laptop, unfortunately. I suspect that it's been hobbled by the people at work (who technically OWN it!) from accepting too many variants. Either that or Compaq's CD burner is temperamental/high maintenance!

Cheers

KP
0 Replies