neologist

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 06:52 pm
@Randy Dandy,
Hmm.
I just noticed you posted 2 values for square feet per acre in the OP.
Correct is 43,560. Dividing by 16 gives 2722.5 trees.

From a practical value, if I were the landscaper, I would agree with my supplier for 2700+/- trees. (They probably would estimate) After planting has progressed, I would arrange to fill in with those needed, or return excess.

You need to proof read your posts.
Randy Dandy

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 08:28 pm
@dalehileman,
"Randy does the shape of the tract matter or the arrangement"

I will specify:

What if the shape was a rectangle and if the arrangement was in the corner, not in the center ?

" ...and in the case rearrangement matters, are you looking for the range, a min or a max" The min and max.
Randy Dandy

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 08:43 pm
@dalehileman,
I will specify.

What if the shape was rectangular ?

The arrangement was in the corner, not in the center.

The range - either min or max.

0 Replies

Randy Dandy

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 08:54 pm
Sorry for duplicate post for the specification.
0 Replies

Randy Dandy

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 08:57 pm
@neologist,
Sorry for the typo.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 06:04 am
Throwing in planar tiling into the mix...

As there are three platonic shapes that allow uniform tiling in a plane (square/rectangle, triangle and hexagon) and given the problem conditions (4 foot spacing) these three tilings are reduced to two tiling shapes (square and equilateral triangle) with one item in each tiling shape.

As the square area is 16 ft^2/item and the equilateral triangle area is 4*sqrt(3) ft^2/item

To maximize the number of items in a specified area (1 ac= 43560 ft^2) the number if items per acre is determined by the area of the tiling. For a square tiling this is 2722.5 items per acre and 6287.3 items per acre for a equilateral triangle tiling.

So if the tree farm wants to maximize the trees and maintain a 4 foot spacing they should use a triangular tiling.

Rap
Randy Dandy

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 08:17 am
Thank you.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:53 am
@Randy Dandy,
Quote:
What if the shape was a rectangle and if the arrangement was in the corner, not in the center ?
Very good q. Presumably each corner planting would constitute only 1/4 of a tree so that all four would be counted as one tree

I suspect your original q might have dozens of not scores of answers depending on details of this sort
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:39 pm
@raprap,
I did not think of that. Do you suppose that arrangement was in the mind of the one posing the problem?

The result would have considerable consequences when it comes to managing the plot.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 11:09 am
@neologist,
Thanks Neo. You've set me to wondering how many possible answers altogether
neologist

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 11:50 am
@dalehileman,
Interesting also because Randy's problems are generally intuitive.
0 Replies

Randy Dandy

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 10:38 am
I have a question:

How would the number of trees be determined if the acre was circular? The problem did not state the shape. The acre and trees planted 4 feet apart were the only information given in problem.

Just curious.
neologist

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 11:56 am
@Randy Dandy,
Draw a picture of the possibilities.
Would trees be planted in parallel chords?
Maybe concentric circles.
I'll bet the number won't be far from the 2700
Randy Dandy

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 12:52 pm
@neologist,
"Would trees be planted in parallel chords?
Maybe concentric circles."

I know the trees are 4 feet apart. How do I calculate the length and number of rows when I draw the picture ?
neologist

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:09 pm
@Randy Dandy,
I bet there are a kazillion different confiigurations
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Amount
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:16:56