Is accounting a stressful job?

eppixx

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 04:57 pm
I'm an accounting student. I'm struggling with accounting word problems because they so very tricky. Working as an accountant, will I have to read all the word problems and journalize them like I did in school? Can I get a better idea of what account really do on a daily basis?

As an accountant, do you need to write a lot of reports? what are your most common struggles?

After you get your 4 year degree, are you happy to work as an accountant?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,815 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 04:59 pm
@eppixx,
I believe Roger is an accountant, perhaps he will see this thread and answer your question.
0 Replies

larryglz

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 05:55 pm
@eppixx,
You would need to ask a real accountant.

First of all, are you passionate about becoming an accountant? Or is it that your family wants you to become that? In order for you to be "happy" like you said as an accountant, you need to have the feel for it. Are you good with numbers? Have you liked your accounting classes? Are you passing your accounting classes? If the answer to these questions are yes, then more than likely you will enjoy doing that for a living.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:24 pm
@eppixx,
If you're called before congress for something like the Enron scandal and are threatened with life in prison, I'd think it could get quite stressful.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2003-03-24-watkins_x.htm
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 02:14 pm
One of my good friends was an accountant--he became one because it was his family business, but we first met in an undergraduate Abstract Algebra class we were both taking outside our majors (I was an engineering undergrad, he was business).

When we were graduated we both followed our majors and went to different cities only seeing each other when we'd vacation at the same Greatful Dead concerts.

Finally He admitted that accounting wasn't his baliwick even though he was a good accountant (passed the certification and licensing exams easily) but it seemed he had to sit in the back room as Reagan era businesses didn't like to see accountants with dreadlocks and tie dyes.

He also hated the 90 hour work weeks leading up to tax time.

So he went back to school and got a PhD in discrete math and became a market analyst, game theorist and part time calculus teacher.

OK in answer to your initial question as an Engineer and applied physical mathematician--

Life is a word problem.

Rap

0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 02:51 pm
@eppixx,
eppixx wrote:

I'm an accounting student. I'm struggling with accounting word problems because they so very tricky. Working as an accountant, will I have to read all the word problems and journalize them like I did in school? Can I get a better idea of what account really do on a daily basis?

As an accountant, do you need to write a lot of reports? what are your most common struggles?

After you get your 4 year degree, are you happy to work as an accountant?

As a CPA, all you need to know is how to add and subtract, balance profits with loses to arrive at the bottom line, net profits or net loses.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. Mark Twain
roger

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 03:37 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Good description - of a bookkeeper.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 03:29 pm
That thread tittle reminds me of the add: "I was once an accountant, then I discovered Smirnoff."
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 08:12 pm
The stress in accounting comes from all the deadlines. Deadlines to produce monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports, submit taxes, submit annual budgets and forecasts, etc.
Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2015 03:40 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

The stress in accounting comes from all the deadlines. Deadlines to produce monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports, submit taxes, submit annual budgets and forecasts, etc.

I go along with everything you wrote, except taxes, budgets and forecasts.

“You want people walking away from the conversation with some kernel of wisdom or some kind of impact.” Henry Dean Stanton
0 Replies