The Musical Discovery thread

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 02:41 am
Isn't it great when you find a wonderful new band... or perhaps an old one that you've never really taken notice of. I thought that I would start this thread so that everyone here could tell us all about 'discoveries' they made, past or present, a few sentences, paragraphs, or just the name of the band, so that we can all share hidden gems, if we wish.

I have found quite a load recently... two ones that come to mind are I am Kloot and Odilio Gonzales, both of which might not appeal to most, but-- on this thread-- it doesn't really matter, as you never know.

Odilio, I think, is an Argentine, but information about him is very scarce, even in Castillian. He plays (and, even better, sings) some of the best tango that I've ever heard, (despite my having lived in Argentina for a short period of time.) Not only is it really passionate, it's really addictive-- so I'd recommend to anyone who likes Latin American music... 'Imposible' is his crowning achievement for me.

On a more mainstream scale, I am Kloot are one of the more æsthetic bands to have come from Manchester. In a typical song, the band fit in gentle chords, understated lyrics, and something unknown that makes it all bewitching... their song 'Proof' is wonderful.

So, how about everyone else?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 956 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 03:27 am
I was floored when I first discovered Captain Beefheart years ago. More recently, I discovered a friend's band who also blew me away, Godspeed You Black Emperor. I was particularily impressed that two of their songs were used in the movie 28 Days Later. Their style was perfect for the film.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 06:45 am
There's a radio program called The World that comes on just before All Things Considered (another great source) which I often catch the end of as I come home from work. They end their program with a review of some musician from around the wrokd (ie not US and not British).

Found much good music from their reviews.
Oliver Mtukudzi
Besh oDrom
to name the two that come to the top of my mind...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 11:04 am
What radio station is that on, SP? Not much of Britain's airwaves are dedicated to foreign music -- apart from Bhangra --; it would be good to listen in.

O, do you know the name of the songs, Cav? I haven't heard of the band, nor seen the movie... what genre of music do they mostly fit into? Their unusual name reminds me of one that I once managed, 'Gently rub the Moose;' the only problem with that band, however, was that their name was the only thing interesting about them... that and their singer, who they ridiculously got rid of. (He was the only colourful one in the band; I left when they fired him behind my back.)

O, Kings of Convinience I'll add to the list, too; they're certainly not my favourite band: I don't like them much at all-- but, for those who want ambience, they're great.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 11:22 am
Great thread Drom-I recently discovered some great 60's UK music, which I am very partial to.

Brian Auger & Oblivion Express
Family-"Music From A dolls House"
Blodwyn Pig- "A Head Rings Out"
and Christine McVie's solo album, I think it's self titled and awful hard to come by.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 12:26 pm
Thanks, Panzade; I'm glad that you're here!

I love music from the UK during the 60s too... one of the few golden ages of music, I'd contest; there were so many brilliant bands out there.

I have heard Christine McVie's self-titled solo album, from a friend's copy, and it's wonderful. I especially liked the song 'Ask anybody.' (At least, I think that that's what it was called.)

O, to add into the fray: what was the first new band/artist that you all here discovered? (Or, one of the first, if precision fails)

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 12:45 pm
You have good taste, "Ask Anybody" is the high point of the album and one of the best tunes in my memory.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 12:47 pm
I'm really not sure how to categorize Godspeed. You can here some samples of their music here: http://www.brainwashed.com/godspeed/music.html
However, as many of their songs run towards the 20 minute or longer mark, the samples really are just teasers. It's a good place to start though.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 02:21 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
What radio station is that on, SP?

WGBH, which you can get over the net here.

You can alos listen to The World on the net here.

The music review will be at the bottom of the page...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 03:56 pm
godspeed is a great band, have you checked out "a silver mt zion" they're very similar to godspeed (i think they share members)

some new bands i've found:
broken social scene
camera obscura
iron & wine
the zutons
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 04:19 pm
It used to be Brian Auger and the Trinity at one time, didn't it? I have a record of WHEEL'S ON FIRE with that name on it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 04:23 pm
djjd62 wrote:
godspeed is a great band, have you checked out "a silver mt zion" they're very similar to godspeed (i think they share members)

That is quite possible. They have many side projects. I went to high school with two of the members of Godspeed. Both were good friends of mine.
0 Replies