Curious questions

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 06:58 pm
I am writing this short note to ask help in understanding problems I have been wrestling around with for years. I do hope this is not a waste of anyone’s time.

I have been fascinated with the facts of very large animals that lived hundreds of thousands of years ago. How is it possible for them to grow to such large sizes while we (man and animals) in present day seem to be limited in our growth? I have also been following the studies on plate tectonics and its relationship with earthquakes.

The problems stated simply is: Hundreds of millions of years ago was the diameter of the earth large enough to have reduced the force of gravity to allow life on its surface to grow to such large sizes? Are earthquakes the result of this continuous shrinking of the earth?
I would be pleased if anyone could tell me if these problems and questions have been considered by others?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 685 • Replies: 5

raprap

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 09:05 pm
Until we kill them all, the largest living things that have ever lived (fungal, plant or animal) are all alive today.

Rap
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 09:30 pm
@tom murphy,
I understand that insects used to attain giant size because a higher percentage of oxygen favored their inefficient respiratory systems, which can't be done at present O2 levels. For others, I speculate that large numbers of small animals have an evolutionary advantage over a small number of large ones as the environment changes.

Changes in gravity? I don't think so.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 09:42 pm
The blue whale is the largest animal that ever lived. Still around.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 05:51 am
The Earth is shrinking?
tom murphy

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 03:45 pm
@Brandon9000,
That's the idea I am presenting.
0 Replies